We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Hello Again TA!

I unfortunatlly have to choose only one of these as my "splurge" meal in Barcelona.

Im trying to see the differences and/or similarities of these 2 fabulous restaurants.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Yesenia

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

The eternal question: which one?? I’m deliberating over several choices too but not in the modern/molecular Catalan category.

My foodie mentor in Toronto is the only person I know who has been to both and he preferred Alkimia. However, modern/molecular is a very personal thing. At Cinc Sentits, the owner/chef is Canadian-Catalan. My friend had the starting appetizer that uses a traditional Canadian ingredient – maple syrup – and he felt that it ruined his tastebuds for the remainder of the meal.

I have only been to Alkimia and enjoyed every dish, especially the chicken canelones in almond cream sauce. This summer, I plan to try Cinc Sentits.

Unless you find other people who have been to both and can elaborate on their choice, I would look at each website, read the menus carefully and decide which dishes appeal more to you.

Belsaita, our friendly feline DE, will definitely put up her claws for Cinc Sentits! See her review here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d697…

Edited: 23 February 2011, 17:36
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Meowwwwwwww!

Yes, I can recommend Cinc Sentits, but I've not been to Alkimia (yet). BTW, I actually liked the maple-syrup appetizer. Well, not sure I liked it, I found it "interesting" as i never tried that before :) and I definitely my tastebuds were not affected. But maybe my tastebuds are not so fine tuned anyway.

I don't think you can get a bad decision with any of these 2.

Maybe tossing a coin?

Edited: 23 February 2011, 17:44
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

So it was your first taste of maple syrup? In general, I love the taste but a little goes a long way. You should come over to Canada next month and go to a sugar shack in Quebec. I know a really unusual one where the owner has built log cabins in the forest, has a "pet" wolf named Loulou and is so strange that even Anthony Bourdain was scared. He puts his maple syrup in everything: coffee, pancakes, sausage, bacon...

http://www.sucreriedelamontagne.com/

Or else I could bring you a bottle this summer.

Edited: 23 February 2011, 17:57
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

YES!! they both sound so good! maybe the coin toss is the only way LOL

maybe if I can save on something else, I can go to both...both there are other's I really want to try, as Quimet & Quimet and Euksal Extea, Formatgeria La Seu, aaahhhh i think i'll have to eat more than 3 times a day!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,388 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

had to Google Anthony Bourdain, have never heard of him

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Shades of Marco Pierre White but less talented and not so evil. :-P

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Okay, I'm in the same dilema. We'll be in Barcelona next week, and have one night out with all the family together for a high end restaurant. First choice was Lasarte, but they couldn't get us in. I've heard back from both Cinc Sentits and Alkima that they can take us on the night we have a babysitter for our 1 year old.

Is there any recent info between the two? I know that over the years restaurants can sway one way or the other. I'd imagine they are both great, and we'd be doing the bigger tasting menu at Cinc Sentits. Does anyone know what the pricing is like between the two? Since we'll probably love both, I might just go with the one with the less expensive menu.

And thanks Gigis, from reading your other posts, I've now added Gresca to our list of places to visit on our other nights.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 16:56
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Hola TravelfunSJC,

I used to live in SF, btw. UPDATE from my post #1, I have now been to all 3 (Cinc Sentits, Alkimia and Gresca), which is probably why I'm broke, lol.

1) PRICE: The costs of the tasting menus are in the same declining order as the reference to the restaurants in my previous sentence, ie CS is the most expensive and Gresca at 50 euros for 9 courses is a steal. You can see the menus on each restaurant's website and also get an idea of the dishes. Note that Alkimia's prices include tax whereas other places do not.

2) CS uses the most expensive ingredients, imho. Gresca is a bistronomic, meaning the chef creatively uses less expensive ingredients (you won't see caviar or a lot of foie, for example).

3) CS vs Alkimia: I haven't been to Alkimia in 2yrs but my impression was that it's more modern Catalan (signature dish is the canelones in almond cream sauce).

Maybe a look at these food pictures will help you decide.

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Alkimia is near the Sagrada Familia so it's nice to walk by before or after your meal and gaze at the illuminated towers.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Well, a new twist has been added. Lasarte had originally responded that they had a table for 2 available and held for us (we are a group of 5). I emailed back today that we wouldn't be able to make it, since we had 5 in our group. I guess they were mistaken and did indeed make a reservation for 5.

So with that in the mix, will it be Lasarte or Cinc Sentits? After doing a bit more research, I think we would choose Cinc Sentits over Alkima.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alkimia vs Cinc Sentits...I have to choose only one...Help!

Lasarte is operated by 3 star Michelin chef, Martin Berasategui. He has restaurants all over the world but he only cooks in the original one outside of San Sebastian.

CS, Alkimia and Gresca are all operated by the chef/owner.