We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving overload or possible?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving overload or possible?

Is it possible to drive from Barcelona to Picasso and Dali's homes and Costa Blanco in a day? Thanks for your replies. I am thinking about renting a driver. Thoughts? And thanks.

barcelona
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving overload or possible?

Hi, not entirely sure I understand what you are asking?

Picassso's birthplace, and birthplace museum, is in Málaga, on the Costa del Sol - Dalí was born in Figueres where the Dalí theatre is situated - near, though not on, the Costa Brava.

Neither artist had any firm association with the Costa Blanca -- or Costa Blanco as you write in your OP.

No, it is not possible to drive from Málaga to Figueres in the same day and spend time in both museums. (I wish it was)

Regards

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving overload or possible?

Thank you for your reply haarlsonBarcelona. It is Dali's home I wish to visit as well as visit friends who will be in Costa Blanca. Can you tell me how far it is from Barcelona? I wish to get a driver. Is the distance too far for a days drive? Appreciate your reply.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving overload or possible?

You can get driving times for any journey in Europe from www.viamichelin.com but they optimistically assume one can travel at the speed limit at all times with no delays and no time for stops. Add about 30% to get realistic times.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 02:53
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving overload or possible?

Hi mcgrathmary, I'm afraid you're still confused. If your friends are staying in Costa BLANCA, this is near Alicante, south of Barcelona (and about 600 Km far away from the Costa BRAVA)

Dali home is located in Portlligat, near Cadaques in the Costa BRAVA, north of Barcelona.

You of course can hire a car with driver and you can easily visit the Museum in Figueres and the house in Portlligat and still enjoy a stroll around Cadaques in between. It will not be cheap though. There are many tour companies who offer these day trips too.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving overload or possible?

Its an easy day's drive (assuming you are simply mixing up your Costa Brava and your Costa Blanca), and that you wish to start at Barcelona, and visit both the Dali Museum in Figueres (100 miles north of Barcelona) and the Dali House nearby on the coast a few miles north of Cadaques (as described in the reply above).

And while I agree that www.viamichelin.com is optimisti about driving times, it is very accurate on routs and distances. It confirms that the whole route is about 130 miles one-way; hey say 3 hours so call it about 4 hours driving at a reasonable pace. In fact you could get back the same day if necessary, a 7-hour round trip. And if you aren't driving yourself, you miss the hassle of parking in town and the scenery is great on the smaller coastal roads. We often do similar drives from Girona and I find the trip highly enjoyable.

A

6. Re: Driving overload or possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 12:18