We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

I am leaving tomorrow for Barcelona where I will meet up with two adult daughters. We are very excited about this girls' trip.

A few last minute questions:

1. Dinner for Thursday evening: We are staying at Hotel Inglaterra at Carrer de Pelai 14, near Placa Catalunya. Any thoughts for a moderately priced dinner close by? Considering our jet lag, I'm hoping to find a place that might be open before 8PM, so that we can get back to the hotel and get a good night's sleep prior a full day of sight seeing the next day. One thought is to take a cab to Restaurant 7 Portes (not close to the hotel, but we'd get to see the harbor area) which seems to be open from 1PM. Would it be easy to find a cab to get us back to the hotel from there?

We could also walk to Ciudad Conda for tapas.

2. We are planning to go to the National Museum of Catalan Art on Friday afternoon. I'd like to get tickets for the the 7:30 Flemenco show at Tablao de Carmen. Is it an easy walk from the museum to Tablao? We will just be doing drinks at the show, so are there places along the way where we could get a bit to eat? Also wondering about cab availability after the show--

3. I have read so many postings about pickpocketing and scams in Spain, and I am arriving well prepared with a shoulder pocketbook and a wallet with a chain that clips inside the purse. If it isn't pouring rain, I am planning to use the Aeroport bus to Universtat. Do I need to worry about zealously watching my luggage, which I assume will be placed under the bus? Or is my best bet just to take a cab from the airport?

I've been reading the Barcelona forum over the past weeks, and appreciate all the expert guidance offered! Thanks to all--

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

Hello again abcd!

I'm going to comment on your questions in segments since I'll need to copy and paste links. Hopefully you'll get some input from other members too. Have a great time!

1. I haven't eaten around Placa Catalunya. There is Braseria El Glop which is place open all day for traditional Catalan meals. Lynda has recommended it before. A cab to 7 Portes and a relaxing dinner there would be a great start to your trip. You should have no trouble getting a taxi back; if you do, just ask the restaurant to call for you. When you leave the restaurant, it'll probably prime dining hour for locals. There should be lots of taxis around.

Braseria El Glop is in the FAQ list of traditional Catalan restaurants.

2. Your plan is to go to MNAC in the afternoon, then to the 7:30 pm flamenco show, followed by the Magic Fountain (I guess). The MNAC has a fancy restaurant (opens too late for you) and a cafeteria called CÚBIC. From the MNAC website:

<<The Cúbic restaurant and cafeteria is located in the Museum's Oval Room. It has food and drink available to visitors at any time during their visit. Apart from its extensive offer in snacks and sandwiches, the restaurant also serves a range of set meals on weekdays and a la carte meals at weekends.

Open Tuesday to Saturday, 9 am to 6.30 pm, and Sunday and Monday, 9 am to 4 pm.>>

There is also the Terrace Bar, which might have a nice view.

If you buy your tickets for the flamenco show online, you get free access to the Poble Espanyol (Spanish Village). El Tablao de Carmen is INSIDE the Spanish Village. If you don't buy online, perhaps you can buy tickets at the front desk of the Spanish Village.

After the show, there are VERY FEW cabs and it's a short, steep walk downhill from the Spanish Village to the Magic Fountain. As long as you're not wearing 3-inch stilettos, you should be fine. :-P

3. I love the wallet with a chain. I bought one for my trip last year and I still use at home. I don't have to worry about losing it when I go shopping. Okay, yes, I don't look very fashionable with a travel purse and wallet, dangling on a metal chain!

4. If there are 3 of you taking the Aerobus, you might consider taking a taxi instead. The cost won't be much more.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 22:43
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

1. Regarding early dinner on Thursday:

You mentioned the possibility of tapas at Ciudad Condal. For more upscale tapas, there's Tapac 24. It's one block over, towards Passeig de Gracia, on carrer de la Diputacio.

http://www.tapas24.net/index.php?lang=eng

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

I'll just add to G_m's

3. if you decide to takeAerobus, do not worry about the theft in it,

you take the luggage inside and place it on the rack or on the floor

(you can look at it now and then :)

A :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

Hola AndFreL!

Could you pls comment on the easiest walking path from MNAC to the Poble Espanyol?

On the google map, the 1st choice is to go back down near the Magic Fountain and walk back up. I remember that's the really steep path. What if abcd takes the 2nd choice, which is to stay up high and walk around the other way, along Avinguda del Montanyans?

The entrance is not right on the google map. It's actually closer to the word "Carrer de la Dalia".

Thanks for your help.

http://tinyurl.com/6yerzpp

Edited: 01 March 2011, 23:34
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

hola Gigis_mum

Well, I haven't done it myself and may wd get lost ...

(2) looks less down and up but may require better orientation ?

Edited: 01 March 2011, 23:50
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

The good thing about Ciudad Condal is that it is open all the time so whenever you are ready to eat you can go there. It is really perfect for a relaxing first night while dealing with jet lag. I don't know if they have outdoor tables at this time of year but of course that is a wonderful atmosphere when available.

IF you want a light meal then it would be a good choice.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

Thanks everyone. I am thinking of doing Ciudad Condal or El Glop for the first night, and saving 7 Portes for Sunday evening when it seems like lots of restaurants could be closed. I had missed the thread about Catalan restaurants, so that was additional good information. My problem now is that I have created a Google map with the location of about 30 recommended restaurants, but we only have four nights in Barcelona!

Thanks, Gigi's Mom, for the walking map from the Museum to Tablao de Carmen. Hmmm... I'm a tad concerned - are we at risk for getting lost? It will be dark when we leave the museum..... Is this another instance of a time that I should try to get a cab? Are there cabs near the museum at around 6:30?

Good to know that I can watch my suitcase on the Aeroport bus. My daughters and I will all be on separate flights, so unfortunately we can't take a cab together!

I really appreciate all the input.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

Ciudad Condal had outdoor tables when we visited at the end of february, and temperature was nice during the day sitting outside. And they had lovely tapas!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

abcd, The large number of great restaurants is a good reason to plan a return trip! We ALL have the problem of too many choices and too little time!!

Enjoy!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving tomorrow - Last Minute Questions

Hi,

I just returned from Barcelona yesterday; I had 2 meals at Ciudad Condal and loved it on both occasions.

I had dinner there on Monday night and a light meal yesterday at 6PM, before taking the Aerobus back to the airport.

It is indeed a very good thing that you can eat there at any time.