We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Has anyone had experiences with photography equipment being targeted by thieves, or is it safe to say that most crime is petty pickpocketing in Barcelona?

I am going for a week in the beginning April, with the intent for photography, amongst other things, and have rather expensive camera equipment. Leaving it at home is not an option, as it will do little good there. I intend to take every precaution I can think of to avoid theft, but I've just read the "Safety.." post, and now have some concerns.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

We filmed a movie last year and we didn't have any problem. Nothing professional, just for fun. Just do not leave bags unattended and pay attention when you are in the city center. You have the same crime statistics as any other big city in Europe.... Enjoy BCN!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

I'm an amateur photographer and I belong to a couple of groups that organize photo walks in Barcelona and surroundings. We tend to go out to take photos alone often too and share our photos via Flickr and other ways. So... I know a lot of people who wander around Barcelona with cameras around our necks and expensive equipment in our bags. We don't take special precautions apart on not leaving anything unattended. Over the past years I heard from just a few cases of camera/bags stolen, but all cases were crimes of opportunity, none was a violent mugging. I'm not saying it can't happen, only that it's not something I'm specially worried about. Your chances of returning home with all your photo equipment and MANY full memory cards are very high... enjoy your trip!

Chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Thank you for the responses Jeff_Travel_USA & belsaita. I'll feel much more comfortable carrying my equipment now. With the cost of the camera gear, I never leave it unattended, regardless of where I am, so hopefully I won't have any problems. Now I'll just have to hope I have enough memory cards and good light while I'm there in early April.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

You can always buy more memory cards :)

I prefer using small memory cards and change them often when traveling. So, in case anything happens (I'm thinking more on the lines of card failure than robbery) not all trip memories are lost

You can see some of my photos of 'my' Barcelona (mostly non-typical stuff) here: flickr.com/photos/…

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,298 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Barcelona is a wonderful city to take photos. The modernist architecture is so very different from any other city in the world.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
730 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

I also will be taking expensive DSLR equipment when we travel in April--I have carried it throughout the world without difficulty and I'm not particularly concerned. I do have a slash-proof camera strap and a slash-proof cross-body bag to carry essentials. I am a photographer and basically am going to Barcelona for photography and eating so not taking my equipment is not an option!

Belsaita, your photos are fabulous! Especially love the night photos. I was a little wary of carrying my DSLR camera at night. I've done it in Rome with no problem...should I be concerned in Barcelona?

Chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Thanks for sharing your photos belsaita. Great shots. While browsing, I also wondered if I should be concerned with carrying at night.

jczinn - will you provide me with the details of your slash proof camera strap. I looked at them at a local camera store, but they only had the sniper versions that use the tripod socket. I use my tripod, and I prefer to not carry the camera in that manner, so the ones I saw were not an option.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Thanks jczinn and AntuanyS!

You are as safe at night than during the day in most parts of Barcelona. At the end of April, sunset should be around 20:30, thats not 'late' for local standards. Streets in the city center are busy until midnight, it's not rare to see families with small children around past 10pm.

Actually some of my night photos required lots of patience to wait for the places without people passing by (when I was looking for a lonely feel, like in the one of Sant Felip Neri square). Just use your common sense at any time.

Happy shooting! :)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
730 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

Thanks for the reassurances belsaita, what you say makes sense. Its not like I'll be wandering around after midnight. Some of my favorite shots in Rome--and also in Grenada and Seville on an earlier trip to Spain-- were taken at dusk or after dark.

AntuanyS, I purchased the CarrySafe 100 made by PacSafe: amazon.com/Pacsafe-Carrysafe-Secure-Camera-S…

It seems like a great strap all-around, and not as heavy as another steel strap I used to use. I also have a PacSafe purse (looks like a messenger bag) which I'm going to use to carry my additional lens etc.

Chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photography Equipment in Barcelona

I returned from a great week in Barcelona (with a side trip to Girona), and am happy to report that I had no problems of theft or even feeling unsafe while walking around all parts of the city at all hours (8:00 am - 2:00 am) while carrying thousands of dollars worth of photo equipment.

I was actually surprised by the number of people carrying DSLRs around their neck, and not even trying to disguise them.

I ended up shooting approximately 2,500 photos, which will take some considerable time to go through, evaluate, and process accordingly. A preview set of 19 photos, for anyone interested, can be found on my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antuanysmith/