We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

NY
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

Hi. Any suggestions for hotels in the middle of the city ? Any under $200 per nite? Looking for clean and safe. A few women 50+

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

There are several good possibilities, but I'm afraid that most of those mentioned here are not among them, regardless of their TA ratings. the Jazz is just okay, the Colon or Regencia Colon are highly overrated. The Via Augusta is only a 2-star and a bit basic, but it's location is fine if you don't mind the long hike to just about anywhere.

There are a few nice hotels along Ramblas, but not within your price range.

Depending on your dates, there are several nice hotels between the Gran Via and the Diagonal, including the 4-star Hotel Avenida Palace, that should be in your price range.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

I just stayed at hotel regina last week, located just off of placa catalunya on bergara, a quiet side street, adjacent to hotel pulitzer (owned by the same company), and thought it was great. The room was a little over $200 per night, but it was a quadruple room. Standard rooms would be less. It is listed as a four star hotel, though that may be just a drop generous. Still, we enjoyed it very much.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
794 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

Blu we just stayed at the hotel jazz for 5 nights and it is better than just okay as Robert mentioned. It is in a excellent location. Walked around the corner and the metro is right there. A big enough room as for a double in Europe. Your a 5 min walk to Placa Catalunya. If you are going during the warmer weather the hotel jazz has a rooftop pool and bar. In March of course it is not warm enough for it to be open, but would had love to stay here say May or June

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

For what it's worth, I stayed at Hotel Curious a few weeks back. It has an excellent location, about 100m off Las Ramblas, about half way down - very quiet. The rooms are not the biggest, but if you want a great location, very clean and tidy, decent continental breakfast and friendly staff it is great - and good value.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

I agree with Beanersts: Hotel Jazz and its location near Placa Catalunya is MORE than okay. It's very convenient for airport transportation, sightseeing, shopping and dining. And I think it's usually less than $200 a night, although it would depend on the time of year.

Some of us may need to re-read Blu's original question. A few women would like a clean and safe hotel in the middle of the city for under $200 a night. There is no mention of luxury, of 4 stars, of staying out in the quaint village of Gracia....

This reminds me of a post in which a member essentially asked if $600 a night would be enough for a vacation apartment. One member said 'yes'. A few members told the OP that it was too much and directed him to finding something for less. Shouldn't we regular contributors be helping folks by offering practical and realistic suggestions?

In any case, I wouldn't choose the Hotel Avenida Palace over the Jazz. Maybe it's my 'young frame of mind' or sthg but when I see pictures from a hotel website of hotel rooms with wall-to-wall carpets and thick chintz curtains, I think "DUST". For a 4 star hotel these days, I expect hardwood or marble floors :-P

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

To each his or her own, and to some less...

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
560 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

The hardwood floors drive me mad. Sure that's why many hotels are so noisy. Everywhere has them in Barcelona and I think it makes the cheaper hotels look better but the makes the more expensive ones look cheap.With you on the chintz curtains though.

18. Re: Hotels in middle of city --- any suggestions -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 02:16