We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

My husband and I are going to go dancing at Sala Apolo on Easter Sunday evening to listen to the Barcelona Jazz Orchestra.

Will walking to, or taking the Paralell metro stop back up to Liceu be risky.

Will there be Taxi's outside Sala Apolo to take back to Hotel Curious.

Sorry but I'm feeling paranoid about our safety.

Best Seller
France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,024 reviews
from US$144.40*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,931 reviews
from US$48.50*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,641 reviews
from US$110.70*
Special Offer
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
417 reviews
from US$111.01*
US$116.86
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,969 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

Hi,

!0.30 pm is not late in Barcelona, most people will just be finishing dinner at that time. There is very little violent crime in Barcelona, so you will be physically safe everywhere. There is a risk from pickpockets especially where there are crowds or distractions, for example the metro at busy times and on the main tourist stretches, but at 10.30 on a Sunday evening it should be relatively quiet.

As for walking you should be physically safe, but you may be uncomfortable, (especially as you are already nervous) as you would be walking through an area that has a high immigrant population which is also the red light district

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

Thank you for your reply

Ill take the metro

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

Hola Traveld0t!

One small detail to add to Doff's excellent answer.

Regarding the 'red light district': As long as you take either taxi or metro (from metro Av. Para.Lel to Liceu), you will not be walking through the red light district at all.

The area around Sala Apolo has lots of hotels, restaurants, and shops. The Barcelona Universal Hotel is right across the main street. You may see someof Barcelona's immigrants from 3rd world countries here but we (a mother and child) did not feel threatened, so you too should be fine. Too bad it's a Sunday; if it were other days of the week, I would urge you to have some delicious light bites at Quimet i Quimet (just a few blocks away). Unfortunately, Q i Q is closed on Sundays.

When you exit the metro on the Liceu end and walk up the Rambla to Hotel Curious, you will be in the middle of a touristy part of Barcelona. Although it won't be as crowded as it normally is in the daytime, there will still be people walking around. It's not the red light district either.

Have a wonderful Swing Time!

Edited: 02 April 2011, 14:40
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

Thanks again Gigi's Mum

Were not youngsters 50 & 56

5. Re: Leaving Sala Apolo at 10:30pm Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:18