We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

hello, I know, It might be a dumb Q, but i've looked at all the maps and websites...I know I get off on Barceloneta Metro Stop Line L4

or on Port Olimpic Metro L4 Stop Ciutadella.

here are my Questions:

1. the promenade is the street named: Passeig Maritim de la Barceloneta???

2. which is the best area to start...what's the difference between Port Olimpic beach area & Barceloneta metro stop area??

thanks, I tried to get this info on my own, but it's very confusing, and surprisingly not much info on my questions....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,201 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

Hola Y!

I've only used the Barceloneta metro station. From there, you would walk along Passeig de Joan de Borbo out towards the ocean. One side of the St is lined with touristy restaurants which I would avoid. The other side faces the piers for sailboats and yachts.

Behind this main street, there are many smaller streets which you will see on the maps. Lots of rather straight and narrow lanes with apts. Not very scenic or interesting, imho. In this area, there are some good restaurants and bars, including El Vaso de Oro and Chris-the-Scotsman's favourite Bar Jai-ca.

When you get to the end of Joan de Borbo, you'll see the beginning of the beach. My favourite Kaiku is there.

I guess this approach to the beach passes by lots of developed areas. If you prefer to see less of this and access the beach faster, perhaps you should use the Ciutadella stop.

Edited: 18 April 2011, 05:01
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

Thanks gigis! As always to my rescue :)

Yeah, it was a bit confusing when I mapquested it,

I saw pictures of port olimpic and it looks lovely!

Do you know if there are any bike rental places in the promenade??

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

The areas of Barceloneta (old fishermen's quarter) and Port Olimpic (new area built to host the athletes during the 92's Olympic games) are next to the other but with a totally different atmosphere. "Passeig Maritim" translates to "seaside promenade".

You can easily explore the two on foot. If you are going by metro, it will be easier from Ciutadella/Vila Olimpica, when exiting the metro you'll see the two tall buildings so you can't get lost ;-), then, just follow the seaside.

The Port Olympic area is lovely, but very touristy and a bit 'artificial', not really unique to Barcelona IMO. If you plan to eat there, be careful as many places are overpriced and no good. However, some of my favorite eateries are there: 'El Rey de la Gamba' (traditional seafood place, not pretentious, simple dishes and HUGE portions), 'Agua' and 'Bestial' (both places from the same owners, nice restaurants serving Mediterranean food with 'contemporary' touch, average prices) or Creperie Bretonne (a heaven for crepe lovers and a very funky place)

I remember seeing are a couple of bike rental places but never used them, there are listed here: softguides.com/barcelona/transport/bike.html (I don't know how accurate is this info)

Renting a bike looks like a great plan, you can easily cycle all the promenade until Forum and return to burn all those extra calories you easily get around Barna ;-P

4. Re: How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2011, 11:35
5. Re: How to get to Barceloneta Promenade??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 03:18