We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

hi would really like to see Barcelona and we are staying about half hour away by car - was wondering what would be best things to see/do on day trip with hubby, two kids aged 6 & 14 - any comments appreciated.

thanks in advance

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,042 reviews
from US$146.60*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,943 reviews
from US$44.30*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$112.40*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
438 reviews
from US$112.72*
US$118.66
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

Hola Grainne!

If you search the forum by inputting "barcelona for kids", you'll get pages of previous discussions with many good ideas for sightseeing with kids. Last year I took my 11 yo son and he loved Barcelona. We're going back for more this summer.

Here's one recent thread, but there are many. Search and you will find.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k43381…

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

thanks i will check this out

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
609 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

Tibiabo park will be on previous threads and as you have a car you can do it in an afternoon. The children are perfect ages and even though it looks a bit old fashioned (which is part of it's charm) it has some proper fast rides for the older one and the best haunted house I have been in ever. It affords fantastic views of the city too and there is a church up on the hill as well.

Combine with Parc guell for a piece of Gaudi culture .

San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

We had a wonderful morning at one of Gaudi's houses, Casa Batllo with our twin 11 year olds. They listened intently to the audioguide and marveled at the amazing way Gaudi used stained glass, wood, and curved walls & windows. The house is amazing, so amazing that even they enjoyed it.

http://www.casabatllo.es/

We also enjoyed taking the metro to the funicular to the cablecar up to Montjuic Fort. (barcelonayellow.com/bcn-photos/218-pictures-…) The view from there is spectacular, and the kids could run around a bit, using their imaginations, as you feel as if you are on top of the world, looking down on the Mediterranean, and you are in a huge fort. Our kids also loved watching the pigeons in Placa Catalunya, and I'm sorry to say they loved walking down Las Ramblas, people watching, looking at cheap souvenier stalls, seeing the birds for sale, etc.

Edited: 01 May 2011, 00:04
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

Hola SuzieeQQ!

Glad to hear your family enjoyed Barcelona! I rec'd your pm and sent you back one but maybe it was too late.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

Not sure where you are staying which is half an hour away from BCN by car but in most cases best way to visit Barcelona for a day-trip from nearby towns is by train.

I'd say only if you want to go up to Tibidabo (which is only open at weekends except in summer holidays) is it worth considering coming by car; to visit everything else it'll be simpler walking + public transport.

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

sorry for misleading you in anyway - although where we are staying is reported to be 30 mins by car we will actually be taking the train as we are actually staying in VilaNovaGeltru and not hiring a car - apologies for any misunderstanding but thanks for all your useful tips and ideas.

8. Re: day trip to Barcelona - with two kids 6 & 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:16