We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Unfortunately I waited about 10 hours too long to book and now they are booked for the night we were planning. Any other equally wonderful suggestions?? TIA

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,024 reviews
from US$144.40*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,929 reviews
from US$48.50*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,641 reviews
from US$110.70*
Special Offer
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
417 reviews
from US$110.99*
US$116.84
Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

I'm surprised how popular it's become! I guess you tried a different time slot too?

Alkimia is very good for modern Catalan.

http://www.alkimia.cat/

Some pictures of our tasting menu lunch from last summer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49682803@N07/sets/72157624662072078/

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Gigis, I emailed Alkimia for September 2nd about 1 week ago, and they told me they were all booked for that night!! how can that be??? 4 months ahead of time...oh well...I hope cinc sentits comes through...I have back ups..

LONDONGIRL...these are my backups: (not necessarily same as cinc...but great reviews and fine dining)

1. Caelis (gran via de les cortes catalanes 668 youngest chef to receive a michelin star in 2001 (spain & france) great reviews here and other sites

2. via veneto (gandouxer 10) despite the name, is not italian, their menu changes daily according to the best market ingredients they find...

this is what they emailed me:

Also we inform you about our menu tasting (variable according to market is for it that we can’t confirm the dishes now) that consists of 4 dishes (different each day) cooking with fresh and seasonal product that arrives daily of the best markets and suppliers of the country (this menu costs about 80€). Also includes a dessert completely cooking for our pastry staff. This menu no includes drinks or coffee.

It is not any problem if you want to make changes “in situ” when you arrive at the restaurant, the owner, Mr. Pedro Monje, can change it according to your preferences.

Please contact with me or Mr. Monje If you have any doubt and/or suggestion.

Best Regards,

Esther Santos

i like that their email was very courteous and prompt and they are known for superb service!

3. I actually have reservations for Comerc 24, so its not a back up, i will be going the day after Cinc...they have a molecular gastronomy menu...its more hit and miss from the reviews i've read...but i think all their food is very inventive...and I have to try their rice with foie gras mouse!!

hope this gives you some ideas, I too am hoping for cinc sentits, but they have become almost imposible to book for dinner!

I keep my fingers crossed!!

Edited: 04 May 2011, 02:29
Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Yesi,

Thanks for sharing. I don't know what's going on! I'd better make my reservations for the summer.

I wish you would consider Gresca. It's not in the same category as Cinc Sentits or Alkimia (because they are a 'bistronomic' -- using less expensive ingredients with a lot of culinary creativity) but their few signatures dishes are quite impressive. The 'egg souffle' over a bed of vegetables is simple yet amazing. See pictures below. Since it's a bistronomic, the price is really good too. Imagine a tasting menu for 50+ Euros. This is why I never eat out at home and save all my dining for Barcelona!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49682803@N07/sets/72157624537477315/

Edited: 04 May 2011, 02:32
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Hi g!

I have consider it but their website is not working, how do I look up menu and prices and most important how do I make reservations??

I'm staying at a BB, so they don't have concierge service... Any website ??

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Thank you both for all of the back up ideas! Gigi - they are available for lunch, but from what I have read this will be a 3 or 4 hour dining experience so we don't want to break into our day of touring that much just for a great meal. Will do a little more research on all of your suggestions today and let you know what we go with. Thanks again!

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Hi Y,

I've looked all over the net and apart from the regular listings on places like bcnrestaurantes (which you already know), there really isn't much info available. However, if you look at the recent restaurant reviews here on TA, you'll see some descriptions of the dishes. And guess what? They are very similar to what I had last summer.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d1…

That means that the signature dishes are still in place and also that things haven't changed much. So here is some info that may help you:

Last summer, there were 2 tasting menus. Both were the same price, 50 Euros. One included 9 items, the other 4 items. So basically, one was fashioned like a bunch of 'tapas' size dishes, plus several raciones dishes and 2 desserts. The 4-item was a bit flexible, so you could choose the 3 savoury dishes and 1 dessert.

Signature dishes last year were:

- The Egg Souffle. Everyone calls it that for want of a more descriptive title. It's really NOT a souffle. I've spent a year mulling over its preparation. To me, it's more like an egg yolk, cooked sous vide, then 'wrapped' in beaten egg white, baked like a Baked Alaska, and served over a bed of finely chopped vegetables.

- The Squab. Lots of controversy over this one. One diner described it as 'roadkill'. It's a leg of squab (pigeon) with a crispy skin. The texture and appearance of the flesh is RAW but the taste is not. Again, perhaps a sous vide preparation, followed by a stint under the broiler. Many North Americans don't like or know the taste of pigeon. They find it too gamey. Gigi and I both ate it all up.

- A rice dish with bacalao belly. My limited knowledge of the world of bacalao is that the belly is one of the cheaper parts. Since Gresca is a bistronomia, it makes sense that they would use this part. It looks translucent and has a rich, fatty texture. It's nothing like an expensive, firm-textured halibut. Gigi did NOT like it at all. It reminded him of pothi (Greek cow foot) or Chinese beef tendon.

- Signature dessert: half a coconut. It looks just like a coconut but it's not! It's a completely edible, frozen sorbet-style dessert. We both loved this one and I still haven't figured out how it's made.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Hi g!

I have considered just buying a calling card and just calling them up and making a reservation that way.

Do you think they are the next best thing after cinc sentits and alkimia (remember alkimia said they were booked for that night) in September?? I have my doubts, maybe because I'm a single diner, anyways, alkimia is out too, so you think gresca is the "one" I'll be doing Comerc 24 the night after for inner and tickets for lunch. Also booked gelonch for lunch on the day of arrival, really exited about gelonch?

I've also read great things about caelis... I'm trying to stay within the price range and quality of cinc.

You know how I value your opinion! So thanks for all your work with my itinerary! Although, I still am pretty hard headed and might go a total different direction in the end ha ha! I think that's the basque in me! They say we r pretty Strong willed....LOL

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

Is there Basque in you too? Oh my! Promise me you'll take a taxi after dinner, ha ha!

I don't know if Gresca is the 'next best thing' since I haven't had the pleasure of Coure or Hissop. Glad to hear you're going to Gelonch; it does sound exciting and I've looked at the menu many times. There would need to be way too many substitutions for my son, which is why I must pass on Gelonch.

Caelis? I just don't feel confident about eating at hotel restaurants or satellite restaurants of out-of-town celebrity chefs when I'm in Barcelona. The local chefs are a strong and creative bunch.

You still have time. We'll work something out. Maybe we can ask one of the local members to call for you. BTW, your BB emailed me back right away to explain the lack of address! I was VERY impressed with their communication skills! I bet if you asked them, they would call for you. Have you asked?

9. Re: Cinc Sentits booked, now where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:16