We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheel chair user

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
805 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Wheel chair user

Hi my husband needs to use a wheel chair on holiday.

Which hotels/one bed apartments would be wheelchair friendly/assessible? He doesn't need to use a wheel chair inside a bedroom. We would like to have an electric chair delivered to our hotel. The hotel needs to be as near to the beach.

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheel chair user

Hola Happyholiday!

You can search for hotels and apartments that suit your taste and budget by going to the TA Barcelona Hotels page.

1) In the left-hand section, AMENITY TYPE, click on the box for WHEELCHAIR ACCESS.

2) Input your price range or leave it blank to see the full list.

3) Click on the map and zoom in to see the beach area.

4) Click on the hotel flags to read more about each hotel.

I wanted to give you a link to Accessiblebarcelona.com but it doesn't seem to be functioning properly today.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheel chair user

Hi,

Accessible Barcelona's website is still unavailable but these may be useful

…bcn.cat/accessible/…00.html

vienaeditorial.com/barcelonaaccesible/angles…

Barcelona
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheel chair user

Stick to a hotel.

Apartments are rarely wheelchair accessible but if you want to try it it´s better to contact the agencies directly and ask for suitable apartments.

Remember that the apartments are in regular residential buildings so most of them will not be wheelchair accessible.

You should check even the ones with an elevator as in many of them you need to climb some stairs in order to get to it and many elevators are too small for a wheelchair.

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheel chair user

I noticed on one vacation rental website (maybe Friendly Rentals) that you can search for apts. that are wheelchair-accessible. I DO agree with Amirlivne about going for a hotel, especially if you want to be near the beach.

Amirlivne, do you know if the metro stations near the beach have elevators? That might be a problem too. What's the point of staying in a hotel near the beach if you can't take the metro from there? I guess we could always check on the tmb.cat website that gives a list of metro stations with elevators, but I am lazy today.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheel chair user

Using the metro with wheelchairs is a problem since not all the stations have elevators and in stations with elevators the might not work (this happens from time to time).

Also, almost all the connections between the lines have no elevators.

So it is possible to use the metro with a wheelchair without changes, only to adapted stations and you need to take into account that you might find yourself without a working elevator (I've encountered it many times).

The only fully adapted line is L2 (also the new L9 and L10, but they offer only partial service and it's not in touristic areas).

The closest adapted metro stations to the beach are Barceloneta and Forum of L4, which is the least adapted line in the system.

Actually a more logical option is using the buses as most of them (if not all of them) are adapted to wheelchairs, there is no need to climb up or down and they have routs that are closer to the beach.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 15:16
Barcelona
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheel chair user

Sorry, I forgot the link to the accessibility map for the metro

http://www.tmb.cat/en/transport-accessible

Teesside
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheel chair user

hi try this

disabledholidaydirectory.co.uk/search/…

8. Re: Wheel chair user

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 06:20