We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

Anaheim Hills, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

After 30 years of marriage, my wife and I are finally getting to Europe...I have been stubborn not wanting to go until I could stay at least 4 weeks...however, we were awarded a 7 day cruise out of Barcelona...but we have to get back a couple of days after it ends..however, we have a few days prior to the cruise - 3-4 days we can spend however we wish.

What I am asking opinions and thoughts about is the wisdom of spending all those days in Barcelona or flying from the states into either London or Paris and spending one day in each city before heading to Barcelona. I know its a terrible way to see Europe but I dont expect it to be our only trip here. I have left out a pre-cruise visit to Italy since most of the ports visited on the cruise are there.

Hope this makes sense and I look forward to anyone's/everyone's thoughts...

Thanks!

MS

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

We are going to Barcelona in June too. I would say stay in Barcelona and explore Spain. It is not easy to go from city to city with luggage. Barcelona has so much to offer and there are day tours from Barcelona. Hope it helps.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

From Barcelona you can visit Girona and Tarragona by train www.renfe.es

Visit Montserrat by public transport and choose to go up the mountain by Cable car or Funicular train

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/montserr…

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.girona-tourist-guide.com

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

Do the Spain thing and stay in Barcelona, and as said l would go to Montserrat for the day. You can keep busy in Barcelona for 2 or 3 days, there is enough to see. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

My family and I are also sailing out of Barcelona for a cruise this summer, having done so several times before. However, we are also staying for three nights in Barcelona prior to sailing.

It is a beautiful city with a wonderful atmosphere and is a great place to unwind for a few days, especialy after a long flight.

Having visited both London and Paris several times, one day in each would not do either justice and would be very tiring. There are plenty things to see in Barcelona or just relax and watch the world go by. You can always catch London and Paris on your next trip!

Enjoy your cruise!

Anaheim Hills, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

24 hours later, I am coming to the same conclusion of everyone so far in this thread - we are going to simply fly into Barcelona and stay there for either 2 or 3 days prior to the cruise. Now the question is which part of the city to stay in and how to narrow down the list of choices of a hotel.

Definitely want to schedule that day trip which has been recommended to Montserrat.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

Check hotels in or near Placa Catalunya, which is central to everything.

www.venere.com

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

Placa catalunya is the most central, but the area could be noisy, many love eixample area, which is where I am staying

(in case you are interested) or curious, it's a wonderful bed and breakfast (John and kiko) the owners have been great! Very affordable prices, beautiful neighborhood a couple of blocks from sagrada familia it's called BarcelonaBB.com great TA reviews.

I'm sure there will be other options for you, Gigis-mum stayed in a hotel she loved which I can't remember the name right now, but I'm positive she will answer back

Btw, I'm in Downey,Ca close to you guys! Small world! I love love cruising!!! You can do so much or nothing at all and don't have to pack and unpack in every port...you'll truly enjoy it!

My parents 1 Europe trip was to Italy for a month, and that's all they talked about for ...well ever!

Have fun!

Yesi

Barcelona
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

Hi there

Eixample is the modern part of the city and is filled with comfortable, more spacious apartments. However for me the area lacks any traditional Spanish feel.

The El Born area is a maze of alleys and cobbled streets dotted with eateries and bars, small independent art galleries and designer boutiques. It's not too far from the beach/port area and makes a lovely place to spend your time in Barcelona.

Charlotte

(Oh-Barcelona)

9. Re: First Trip To Europe - Cruising out of Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 06:16