We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Hi there, we are going to be staying near Las Ramblas, but would like more authentic dishes vs. super touristy places. I enjoy dinning outside and the atmosphere is also important. Would love to have some great culinary experiences and try different tapas and stuff we can't get in the United States. Any suggestions?? Preferably easy to get to from las ramblas, walking distance up to a mile is ok. Thank you SOOO much! So sick of boring food in the US and need something spectacular

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,545 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

pink:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c150846/Madri…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Hi,.

Lots of recommendations for traditional Catalan dishes and where to get them in 'FAQ - Traditional Catalan restaurants and typical Catalan dishes' on the right of the forum page

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Hola Pink!

Most of Las Ramblas is very touristy with pretty bad and expensive food. There are 2 places there that you shouldn't miss: the Mercat de la Boqueria and the pastry shop Escriba.

In the Boqueria, look for the food 'bars' where you can eat some very local and super-fresh dishes. Bar Pinotxo, Kiosko Universal, El Quim, Bar Central. Taste jamon. Be amazed at the kaleidoscope of colours at the fruit stands.

Escriba is a famous bakery housed in a historic Moderniste bldg. A Catalan specialty that you can't get in the US? Coca - a flatbread with different toppings. They have a cafe there and the bikini sandwich (jamon and cheese) is really good!

Tapas are not a Barcelona tradition but there are lots of good places for them:

Cerveceria Catalana

Ciutat Comtal

Paco Meralgo

Tapac24

These are in L'Eixample so you can try one when you are sightseeing near Passeig de Gracia.

For Basque style tapas -- pintxos -- there is:

Euskal Etxea

Maitea Taberna

Orio Taberna Euskal

Taktika Berri

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

We really loved a place called Origens. It was excellent food. http://www.lallavordelsorigens.com/

Somerset
Level Contributor
41 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Try Quinze Nits in Plaza Real or it's sister restaurant La Fonda. You have to queue outside before they open (think it's at 8, but I'm sure you can find that somewhere on the net). Menus are great and really reasonably priced. Try the Fideua which is like Paella but made with noodles and served with garlic mayonnaise - Delicious!!

Completely agree with the tip of La Boqueria. Either eat there, or get a picnic to enjoy in Parc Guell!

Enjoy

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Hi!

My favourite bakery item were ensaimadas: I had some very good ones at escriba (already mentioned by Gigs_mum) and at Forn Mistral, near Universitat.

I also loved Xocolata amb Xurros or a Suìs (hot chocolate with whipped cream on top) at a couple of Granjas near the Ramblas, but these may be less enjoyable on a summer visit (I was there in February).

Gigis_mum is an absolute food expert, so you'll be fine following any of her suggestions; I'd only add La Paradeta to her list , for dinner; this is a place where you choose your seafood (still raw) at a fishmonger's counter, pay for it depending on its weight and then wait for it to be cooked and eat it at your table; it's reasonably priced and it has a few branches in Barcelona, one of which in El Born.

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

Hola Pink

One little catalan restaurant that springs to my mind is Pa i Trago, Taverna Típica Cuina Catalana. Carrer del Parlament de Catalunya, 41 Barcelona. Telèfons 93 441 13 20 - 93 441 10 37 www.restaurantpaitrago.es/

It is quite a few years since I visited Pa i Trago but I remember we had a wonderful evening. My memory fails me as to whether this was because of the food, the atmosphere or the catalan friends I was with. Probably a mixture of all!

Anyway, I'm sure you will love Barcelona - enjoy.

8. Re: Food suggestions!!!! Something we can' get from U.S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 07:17