We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eixample area

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Eixample area

Hi

We are staying at the America hotel in this area in August and have a couple of questions. Does anyone know if the building work has been completed in this area please? There are a few photos on the forum from April showing major works visible from the hotel, hoping all will be completed by the time we go! Also a bit concerned that 5 nights is too long to spend here, will there be enough to see and do and will the weather at this time make it uncomfortable to get about. Is there enough to see in this area accessible on foot or will most of the major attractions require a bus ride. Thanks, sorry for all the questions!

Jens

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eixample area

Hola Jens!

This is really a great area for dining, btw.

From the pictures and hotel reviews, it appears that construction related to the tunnel of an express train is underway. I doubt that it will be completed by August. This poster DID mention that the construction is only on weekdays and that you have peace and quiet on the weekend.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d228…

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eixample area

Hello Jens!

5 days is not too much...the more you research, the more wonderful things you discover...

I have crammed everything i want to se in Barcelona in 3 days, and even though im traveling by my self, which means usually faster for sightseeing, i do feel i should have had more days in Barcelona.

nonetheless, you should have time for a daytrip, try to search Girona or Figueras.

As far as the weather, i don't know, since I haven't been my self yet, im going the 1st week of September, and hoping it cools down, as I suffer in the Heat! but Barcelona is all worth it!

if it is very hot, you can go to the beach and/or have many ice creams!

**Yesi

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eixample area

Hola Jens

I'd recommend anyone coming to Barcelona to stay for at least a week, but in five days you should be able to take in most of the main sights.

It is typically hot (30-35 Celsius) and humid in August although the weather so far this year has been much cooler than normal.

The America Hotel is central and you'll find that you can walk to many of the main attractions, but you may prefer to take the metro or buses to get some degree of air-conditioned comfort.

Almost all construction work stops in Barcelona during August so you shouldn't be bothered by work noise.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eixample area

Thanks all for the replies, don't think we'll travel too far due to the heat, looking forward to tracking down some good places to eat and visiting the popular tourist attractions. Is the hospital quite central, and is it worth a visit?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eixample area

Hi,

It is hot and humid in August but not as hot as mentioned above, over the last 15 years the average high temperature is 28 (with a range of 21 to 34). The average low is 21 (with a range of 15 to 26). Obviously it is hotter out in the sun, but they managed to run in the athletics events in the 1992 Olympics, which took place in August, including the Marathon.

Depending on which way you are going at which time of day, try and plan your route to walk as much as possible on the shady side of the streets.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eixample area

Hola Jens

Good advice from Doffcocker regarding avoiding the sunny side of the street. Also, just do like the locals and stay indoors in the afternoons. Last summer (which was exceptional we hope) it maxed out at 39.9 Celsius which together with the high humidity made it very sticky.

If you mean the modernist Hospital Sant Pau, then it is most definitely worth a visit. We have fond memories of this beautiful hospital as our son was born there.

You can walk uphill to get there from the Sagrada Familia along Avenida de Gaudi. Actually, you might be better going to the Hospital first and then walking **downhill** to the Sagrada Familia.

The closest metro station is Sant Pau/Dos de Maig on line L-5. Don't get off at the L-4 line station Guinardo/Hospital de Sant Pau as it is for the newly-built modern hospital and you'll have a bit of a walk back.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eixample area

Thanks so much for your help and advice doffcocker and mukfinbcn.

8. Re: Eixample area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:18