We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

The 24th will be a Monday next year, since i like booking time off work nice and early does anyone have a clue what day the festival might finish with it not being the actual weekend.

Not that i can book flights till October...

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Hola Jon

You really are planning ahead. Nothing confirmed yet, but last time 24 September fell on a Monday (2007) the Merce finished on the Monday night. Hope that helps.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Always like to get the days booked off and then worry about it.

Many Thanks.

Jonathan

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

MikFinBCN is right, Jon. We flew back on the Monday night, thinking that Piromusical would have been on the Sunday :( A timely reminder.

La Merce is looking out of reach for 2012 for us, I'm afraid as we're tentatively planning three-ish weeks in Paraguay and Peru, so we might have to come for Sant Joan instead.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Chris, depends on flight costs for me. If i can do as well as i did this year then all well and good, but my main break hopefully next year will be a week to ten days on a greek island.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

I'm sure it will be as it was in 2007, certainly the Piromusical always rounds it off (the year the Infanta got married here they actually kept it to eve of the wedding early October as a gift to her!)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Is it still thought that the monday will be the last night then?

Still half tempted to book the monday and tuesday off work and see what i can do flight wise and maybe fly early sat am.

Or PandaChris might persuade me to go to Tarragona...

Flights not on sale yet but have got to end of August (went on sale two weeks ago) so i presume after last year that they may be on sale within the near future.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Just extend the holiday a bit, Jon.

Santa Tecla seems more predictable because they stick to the same days, with the exception of this 'rule' about not having Correfoc on the 24th.

We're still reckoning that we won't make La Merce next year (unless one of Julie's pics is selected for FotoMerce, in which case a weekend visit will be mandatory) and are definitely thinking that we might restrict ourselves to Santa Tecla for 2014. It's a hard decision, though.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Aye, if i get a cheap flight i'm booking it. Can't really have more than a few days for this trip though as i'm due to go to Greece for about 10 days and need that holiday more than Barcelona.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Well i've booked, bit disappointed that yet again Easyjet release the september flights only on a whim (same as last year when they released the rest of September only about two weeks after rest of summer schedule), not checked since middle of week and probably missed the cheap cheap flights. Had to pay £77 which is the most i've paid to Barcelona for about 5 years.

Arriving Friday evening and leaving late morning on the tuesday.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A bit early i know - La Merce 2012

Cheap flights are getting harder to find Jon. I'll keep an eye on stuff as we get nearer the date but we're still probably not going next year because of our plans further afield - although the cost of combining Peru and Paraguay is looking prohibitive, with flights coming in at about £1000 each, so £77 sounds a bargain.

Edited: 14 November 2011, 23:24