We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Sunday morning transport to airport

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Early Sunday morning transport to airport

We will have either a 910 or 930 flight out of Barcelona on a Sunday morning to return to the US. is a taxi our best bet or are their other options? I guess we would need to be at the airport at about 7am.

Are taxis easy to obtain early on a Sunday morning?

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

You will have all of the options listed in "arrival and departure" available to you at that time: metro, aerobus, and taxi. Taxi is probably fastest but most expensive. Metro is cheapest but has the hassle of possible long walks on transfers (and possibly lugging suitcases up stairs). Aerobus is between the two in both cost and convenience. I don't think you'll have any problem catching a taxi at that time (or any time).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,650 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

Duncan:

Take a taxi. You can ask your hotel desk to call you one. It will cost you about 25 euros from downtown. You have to check in at least 2 hours for your international flight-

New England
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

Thank you both! A taxi is a no brainer, though we will be staying in an apartment not a hotel (probably without a phone), so we will have to arrange our own taxi. Can anyone recommend a good reliable taxi company? It seems like some will let us reserve online in advance.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

We've stayed in apartments both visits and not called in advance for a taxi. They really are easy to catch in most parts of the city. Year one, when we were staying on Calle Flassaders in Born, we just walked up to Laietana and caught one at 5:30 in the morning in about 1 minute. This year, we stayed on Valencia and it took about 2 minutes to catch one at Valencia and Sant Joan (2x at about 6:00 in the morning). There are also numerous taxi stands around the city, so there might be one close to your apartment. If you do feel the need to call in advance, just know that the meter will start when the taxi is dispatched, not when it picks you up (up to a certain max).

New England
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

Thanks for the input Oopsy and you don't think the fact that it would be 6am or so on a Sunday morning would make a difference. We expect to be ataying in the Gracia area not far from Avinguda Diagonal.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

I of course can't know for sure, but I really don't think you'll have a problem Diagonal is a major street. Sunday at 6 am is not too much later than when some folks will be rolling home after being out in clubs. Taxis are abundant in Barcelona. I can't imagine having a tough time flagging one down, but perhaps a local will have a different and more informed opinion.

Once you book your lodging, you can look for the nearest taxi stand here:

www.taxibarcelona.cat/tabid/2032/Default.aspx

That will give you an option if you don't see anything on your nearest corner.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

How about the Airport train from Passeig de Gracia station?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

How about the Airport train from Passeig de Gracia station?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

I'm a local who never pre-books a taxi and to get to the airport for 7, 6.30 is fine, which isn't that early

Airport train leaves you a long way from terminals, it's never my choice, travelling alone I use Aerobus (taxi with family).

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Early Sunday morning transport to airport

the only time it is difficult to stop a taxi that comes to my mind is New Years' Eve / night , may be after some big (sports) events , perhaps mornings when many cruise ships arrive , but it'd be after 8am

kbsopt,

the first train indeed leaves from PdG at 5:40am, ( www.rodalies.cat )

but I suspect taxi is more reliable for DuncanH , especially if travelling with bigger luggage

A :))