We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pune, India
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

Hello everyone,

We (a group of 4 adults, 2 children and 1 infant) will be in Barcelona from 27-October-11 to 1-November-11. We will be arriving in the city on 27th October at 1630 and departing on 1st November at 0830. With 4 full days in hand (and a bit of the day we land), I have put together the following itinerary. It would be great if you could provide me with your opinions about the same. We will be staying at one of the Negre apartments on Carrer Valencia. I haven't booked the apartment yet, but will most probably do it in a day or two.

Day 1 (Thursday, 27-October-11)

---------------------------------------------

a) Arrival at 1630. Reach apartment, complete rental formalities and have a look around the apartment

b) Stroll on Passeig de Gracia and continue onto Placa Catalunya

Day 2 (Friday, 28-October-11)

-----------------------------------------

Gaudi day (Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia). We will follow Gigis_mum's suggestions posted on the "1-day DIY Gaudi tour" page. I have a feeling with 3 kids amongst us, these 4 sights will take up almost the entire day.

Day 3 (Saturday, 29-October-11)

--------------------------------------------

a) Visit to La Boqueria for breakfast

b) Barcelona Cathedral

c) Palau De La Musica Catalana

d) Wandering through the Bari Gotic

e) Watch game at the Camp Nou (if scheduled on Saturday, else it will be moved to 30th October)

Day 4 (Sunday, 30-October-11)

------------------------------------------

a) Camp Nou

b) Montjuic (Olympic village and MNAC)

c) Barceloneta

d) Watch game at the Camp Nou (if scheduled on Sunday)

Day 5 (Monday, 31-October-11)

------------------------------------------

a) Day trip to Montserrat

b) Prepare for early departure on 1st November

As for restaurants, the only one I have booked so far is Tickets on 28th October for dinner. I'll start looking into the dining options in more detail as soon as our sightseeing plan is finalized, but if you guys have suggestions based on the above draft, please feel free to post. With regards to cost, we are looking at "menu del dia" places serving lunch for 15-20 euros per head. For dinner our budget could go upto 50-60 euros per head. As for cuisine, we would prefer eating traditional & modern Catalan, Basque pintxos and Italian. Thanks a ton in advance :)

Edited: 30 July 2011, 20:01
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

Hello kuka!

I think your itinerary is very well done, just one thing:

Are planing on going to camp nou for the tour?? And then go again for the game??

* Im pretty sure you can do this at the same time, do the tour of camp nou before the game that way you don't have to go 2 times.

Other than that, the logistics look very good!

Very similar to my schedule.

As for lunch/dinner: try Quimet y Quimet for the best montaditos! I've been literally drooling at pictures online from this place, and people praise it very much!!

It's on Carrer de poetas cabanas 25

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

On your Riberia/Barri Gotic day, you might want to add in Santa Maria del Mar. It's a beautiful church in the Born neighborhood. For lunch that day, I tentatively suggest Cafè de l'Acadèmia in Plaça Sant Just in Barri Gotic for a good, reasonably priced Catalan Menú del día (~14 euro if I remember correctly), but I am not sure they are open on Saturdays. The kids may also enjoy some time in Parc de la Ciutadella.

I see you have Plaça Catalunya planned as a stop on your first evening. I personally don't see that as a place to put on the schedule, unless there is something specific going on (we checked out the protests a few times this last trip). Otherwise I think it can seem to me primarily a transportation hub and crossroads, rather than a stop in and of itself. I think I may be in the minority on that, but thought I'd offer my opinion anyway.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,195 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

Hola Kuka!

It’s so exciting! Your visit to Barcelona, I mean. :-p

I’ve kept in mind that you are a Big Fan of FC Barca and that the game schedule may change. IF the game is moved to Sunday, I suggest you SWITCH your Days 2 and 3. Seeing the Palau de la Musica Catalana first (excellent video presentation + guided tour) will give you a tremendous appreciation for Barcelona and the great architectural fathers of the city.

That day is also lighter than your Gaudi day. Sometimes I suggest that visitors do the important things first but when traveling with children, it’s best to budget in extra time. Fortunately, there are many places to take a break, even inside all the Gaudi structures! People will be surprised to read this from me but the McDonald’s café on Passeig de Gracia is not bad for a quick stop with kids (very upscale – they even offer French macarons, fruit smoothies and cappuccino).

I have lots of ideas on dining but given your busy schedule, you’ll probably have to choose the places that allow you to ‘walk-in’ without reservations. Oopsy’s suggestion of Café de l’Academia is good but that place is very popular and you might need a reservation. El Glop de la Rambla (Rambla de Catalunya 65) is open all day. The food is NOT gourmet but they do serve menu del dia until 4 pm and it’s moderately priced. Gigi had the grilled rabbit and I had the secreto of pork. Both were delicious and came with potatoes and a vegetable. The pa amb tomaquet (tomato rubbed on bread) was disgusting (soggier than a wet sponge) and they charge 2 euros for it. Perhaps you should tell them that you’re allergic to bread and you’ll be able to avoid it, ha ha!

Quimet i Quimet is so delicious but it’s a small place with standing room only and limited hours of operation (12-4 pm, 7-10 pm). They offer cold montaditos (like open-faced sandwiches), beer, wine, and Mosto (heavenly grape juice for kids). If you arrive when it’s busy, you may feel like you’re packed as tight as a can of sardines. Not my first choice for families with young children.

We can work more on food later when you have your itinerary set.

Day 1 (Thursday)

a) Arrival at 1630. Reach apartment, complete rental formalities and have a look around the apartment

b) Stroll on Passeig de Gracia. SKIP PLACA CATALUNYA

Day 2 (Friday)

Gaudi day (Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia)

YOUR APT IS CLOSER TO THE SAGRADA FAMILIA AND IT OPENS EARLIER THAN THE CASAS. START HERE FIRST.

- The Sagrada Familia

- Taxi to Parc Guell (you’ll need 2 taxis but the time/energy saved will be worth it, especially for the babes)

- Metro L3 (Green line) to Diagonal & Passeig de Gracia

- Lunch near Passeig de Gracia = Lots of options! (tapas, El Glop de la Rambla for Catalan, even McDonald’s café)

- Casa Mila and Casa Batllo + passing looks at other Moderniste gems

Day 3 (Saturday)

b) Barcelona Cathedral

c) Palau De La Musica Catalana (DON’T MISS THIS! IT’S WONDERFUL!)

d) Wandering through Barri Gotic (Chocolate Museum?)

e) Watch game at the Camp Nou (if scheduled on Saturday, else it will be moved to 30th October)

Pune, India
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

@Yesi, Unfortunately the Camp Nou tour is not available during league matchdays. I can only visit the club museum if I plan to do the stadium tour and watch the game on the same day. So, I'll have to split up the two and do the Camp Nou and club museum tour on a non-matchday. Thanks for the Quimet y Quimet suggestion :) I'll keep that in mind as a possible lunch/dinner option.

@oopsy, thanks for suggesting Santa Maria del Mar and Parc de la Ciutadella. I'll add those to my list. Thanks also for the restaurant suggestion :)

@G_M, thanks for your suggestions regarding the itinerary :). I'll keep in mind your suggestion for switching days 2 and 3 if the Barca game gets shifted to Sunday.

We'll skip Placa Catalunya on day 1 as oopsy & G_M have suggested. Maybe a passing visit while traveling by metro would be fine with us too. After reading through all the feedback, I have modified the itinerary a bit. I haven't posted the schedule for day 1 (arrival) and day 5 (Montserrat trip) since it's pretty much set.

Day 2 (Friday, 28-October-11) (Switch with day 3 if Barca game is on Sunday)

************************************************************************************

a) Sagrada Familia

b) Parc Guell

c) Casa Batllo + Casa Mila

Day 3 (Saturday, 29-October-11) (Switch with day 2 if Barca game is on Sunday)

***************************************************************************************

b) Palau De La Musica Catalana

c) Barcelona Cathedral

d) Santa Maria del Mar

e) Parc de la Ciutadella

f) Camp Nou tour (if Barca game is shifted to Sunday)

g) Watch game at the Camp Nou (if scheduled on Saturday, else it will be moved to 30th October)

Day 4 (Sunday, 30-October-11)

a) Camp Nou tour (if Barca game is on Saturday)

b) Montjuic (Olympic village and MNAC)

c) Barceloneta

d) Watch game at the Camp Nou (if scheduled on Sunday)

Please provide me your feedback on the above modified itinerary. Thanks again :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,195 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

Hi again Kuka,

If your party decides that one large and impressive church is enough, you can always go to the Chocolate Museum:

http://www.pastisseria.com/

For Day 4, here's a link to the article, Cable Cars & Funiculars. If the weather is nice, you might enjoy riding the Transbordador Aeri del Port from Montjuic to Barceloneta beach.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k44513…

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

We spent a week in Barcelona in July. Some of my observations:

Gaudi: the church and the park will be enough for the day. The youngsters will love the park--go later for better lighting for pictures.

You may end up walking around the other Gaudi buildings but you won't have time or energy to tour them the same day.

Make sure you get to the beaches, which the kids will enjoy.

Montserrat is essentially a day trip. In your limited time, I wouldn't recommend it.

I just posted our recent trip under the heading: Report on a great active itinerary

Picture gallery: https:/…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,195 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

Hola Meemschirk!

Glad to hear you had a great trip although I don't fully agree with all your comments. I think it's possible to see the splendors of Gaudi within 1 day, IF you are organized, get tickets in advance and take a few stops for snacks etc.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c153886/Bar…

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

If possible I would try and fit in the Picasso Museum.

The bar/cafe at MNAC is a wonderful place to stop for a while, stunning views across Barcelona

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

I think Meemschirk may be right that the 4 sites will be a bit much in your case, because of the young children. It's a lot of walking around and looking. Of course, it depends on the kids. If after seeing SF and Parc Güell and then having lunch they seem to be reaching overload, be ready to adjust. If you think they can get in one more sight rather than two, I would choose Casa Batlló over Casa Milà. I think kids would enjoy Batlló more.

Manchester, Uk
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kindly critique my sightseeing itinerary

I am just looking at photos on Google images to remind me of fabulous Gaudi sights and it makes me want to go back all over again and take it all in. I think that seeing 4 Gaudi in one day is too much - they are all so different and I don't think you will gain the most from seeing them all in such a short space of time

My husband and I also would highly recommend the Palau Guell (but you would probably have to take something else out of your itinerary (!) and I can't comment on that because we didn't really do anything other than the Gaudi's! (Because of limited energy/walking ability). Not trying to add to your itinerary which already looks pretty full but have you thought about the Magic Fountain which was a highlight for for us of our Barcelona stay.

Whatever you do you are sure to have an amazing time!