We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Gadong, Brunei...
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

I wanna do a road trip from Barcelona to San Sebastian around mid-September. I'll be with my wife. We would like to make two overnight stops on the way. We want to take the most scenic route. We've heard that the mountain scenery is just beautiful. What route should we follow and where should we spend the two nights? We prefer to stop at small towns or villages.

Also, is driving in Spain safe? Not just for road safety, but also for crime or burglary on the roads?

Please advice. Thanks.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Hello cider!

You can make a stop in Zaragoza, and if you want a small detour, specially go towards the Pyrenees mountains, from Zaragoza go towards the small village of "Villanua" at the foot of the Pyrenees mountains, lots of history, beautiful scenery and most importantly, that's my last name! :)

You can look at a map, search for Villanua, Spain it's in the area of Aragon.

As far as safety, I know that gigis mum drove to the basque area and all was well.

Enjoy your road trip!

Yesi

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Opps a double posting..here are the other answers given.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187427-i42-k47317…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

A slight correction, if I may...

We drove from San Sebastian up to the Dordogne Valley in France. And back. Very nice roads with polite drivers.

Hola Yesi :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

I am hoping to drive from Fuentaspalda to San Sebastian in one day - just me driving. Is that feasible? That is, are the roads fine or should I plan to break this up.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Sar,

It's 424 km, almost 5 hrs non-stop. It's feasible but not enjoyable. Roads will be fine (most roads in Spain are). You could break it up by stopping in Zaragoza or Pamplona but then your journey would be even longer....

Last time, I suggested you take the train but I guess you have your car.

You can use Google maps to do basic trip planning and viamichelin.com to generate a specific travel map (with toll and road info etc).

http://goo.gl/maps/vVmA6

Edited: 04 October 2012, 17:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Thanks! No car yet, but frankly I didn't understand how to get by train to Fuentespalda. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong site. Could I bother you for a link to the trains again? Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

On your previous thread, you didn't mention that you were going to this little town. You only wrote 'a spot in Aragon'. Therefore, I suggested that IF you were near Zaragoza, that you take the train from Zaragoza to San Sebastian. You cannot take the train from Fuentespalda.

The nearest train station appears to be 60 km away at Tortosa. Here's some access info in general:

Airports:

Zaragoza (Intl) 140 km

Barcelona (Intl) 250 km

Valencia (Intl) 250 km

Reus 140 km

Train station: Tortosa 60 km

Link to the Renfe train website is here www.renfe.com

How are you getting to Fuentespelda in the 1st place? Are you going to rent a car and drive from Barcelona?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Thank you so much - really helpful. And, yes, you're right - I didn't include Fuentaspalda in my original inquiry. For now, it seems like I must rent a car at BCN to get to Fuentaspalda. Perhaps I can return it in Zaragoza and continue by train from there? Or, perhaps just plan on driving myself through Spanish countryside. I have only a few days and really wanted to see these 2 spots.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

Only a few days to cover so much ground?

Here's an idea. I don't know if it's the best but...

1) Rent a car in Barcelona and drive yourself to Fuentaspalda. Stay overnight or drive back the same day.

2) Fly from Barcelona to San Sebastian on www.vueling.com . If you buy advance for midweek travel, it can be cheaper and faster than the train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Barcelona to San Sebastian

That is terrific - I hadn't thought of that combo. Thank you so much!