We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe Success!

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe Success!

Hi all!

I feel very fortunate that I had success today on my first try for my Madrid to Barcelona train tickets. I also success my first time last year. I know the FAQ is available for folks, but I thought I'd give you a run down of what I did today. Of course, we know the system is screwy and you may go through the same steps and get nowhere, but perhaps there's a step in here that differs a bit from what you have tried.

1. I used a card issued by CitiCards (same issuer as last year, but different card number as mine had been replaced).

2. I called my credit card company ahead of time to alert it of the purchase.

3. I registered as a user on the renfe site (I did not do so last year).

4. I used the Spanish language site. I think this is fairly easy to do (I know very minimal Spanish). If you are concerned, look at the FAQ ahead of time or have google translator open too (www.translate.google.com). I just entered information as it was requested.

5. After entering my credit card information, I was redirected temporarily to a mastercard verification site. I did not have to enter any additional information. It was just checking the card. My card had been through this site for a previous purchase a few weeks ago, which may have facilitated things this time. (That time, I was asked for some verifying information).

6. Ta da. My ticket was purchased. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

Again, I don't know why I was successful and so many of you have such difficulty. Check my steps carefully and see if you differ in any way. Otherwise, I think all we can say is what has been said before: Keep trying and best of luck!

And many thanks to Benny for the wonderful FAQ!

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe Success!

Well done Oopsy, did you manage to get a good deal on the fares?

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe Success!

Sí. I did, though they were gone for most times. Best to buy that particular ticket the day the fares are released, I think.

I forgot to add, because I registered as a user on the renfe site (which included my email, name, address, and telephone number, but not my passport number) I did not have to enter any of that information (including passport number) at the time I purchased the ticket.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe Success!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing, Oopsy!

I'm glad you emphasized the REGISTRATION bit. Several times this week, people have posted with Renfe problems and I've suggested registration too. It's something we usually don't bother to do. For instance, when I use Venere.com, Booking.com, Servicaixa etc., I never bother to register. However, with Renfe, I noticed that the service seemed to work better when I logged in with my registration info.

4. Re: Renfe Success!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 22:17