We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Hi there,

I will be in Barcelona next week and I'm planning to do a day trip to Figueres and Girona.

I'm debating on whether I should take an organized day trip though http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/, which pretty much includes transportation to both towns, entrance to Dali museum and a guided walking tour in Girona.

On the other hand, I find it pretty straightforward to travel on my own, and can visit the museums in Figueres. But what about Girona? Do I need an organized walking tour? Does anyone have any recommendations for an afternoon guided walks in Girona? I wasn't able to find much info on the web.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

I don't think you'll need a guide for Girona. We just set of walking from the railway station. From memory there was a rather good tourist information office by the river (and a kiosk in the station) where you can get maps etc. Unless you suffer from serious vertigo, don't miss walking the walls. There's a huge curtain wall in pic 033 in this gallery, and yes, the photo was taken from higher on the same wall. Not a place for people with no head for heights.

avengerpenguins.com/gallery2/main.php…

I feel I'm overdue for a return visit.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 20:03
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

I live close to Girona and like going there from time time. It´s a lovely town

I don´t think you will need a guide for visiting Girona. It´s very compact and with some map from the Tourism Office you will be fine on your own.

You can see some pictures here:

http://www.pbase.com/joseantonio/girona

Hope to have helped

Jose

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Nice photos JOSEANTONIO, and more reasons for me to return.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Wonderful pictures JoseAntonio and Chris! They have me looking forward even more to a Girona day in November or December.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

I reckon you'll love it, oopsy. I was looking for a 'lipdub' video of Castellers de Barcelona last night and stumbled across a clip of a song called "Independencia" that was filmed in Vic. The title of the song hints at the content and sentiment, but much of the video looks like a condensed version of La Merce and Tarragona's Santa Tecla. And Vic looks lovely. I think it has been mentioned as place to visit on this forum before and it is now on my growing list.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

We spent a few hours in Vic in May. It would have been better had I actually done a bit of research, but it was still lovely. We arrived right as they were cleaning the main square from that day's market. It was actually kind of fun to watch that. We did some wandering, found a hole in the wall for a nice meal that included--of course--wonderful sausages, and found heaven (i.e., a great pastry/chocolate shop). More than any other place we went to in the area, it was the one I was most happy to have a few Catalan phrases to use. It was very, very appreciated there (in contrast, in Begur, when I tried to order wine in Catalan I sometimes got looks of confusion and ALWAYS was brought back to Spanish or English). We'll go back for a more informed Vic visit some day.

This Catalunya obsession of mine--perhaps I should seek help. :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Hola Traveller_TO!

If you look on TA Girona, you'll probably find some ideas for DIY walking. And of course, I would go by JoseAntonio's and PC's pics.

@Oopsy: I hate to tell you but there is no cure. :-p

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

I know G_m. I was thinking along the lines of a sugar daddy to fund more frequent trips, though I suppose Mr. Oopsy would have some problem with that. :)

I have two more trips planned--Nov/Dec and March. I'm a lost cause.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Funnily enough Oopsy a couple of years ago in Tamariu we came across an English waiter who spoke fluent Catalan but seemed to struggle in Spanish! Matthew Tree, a Catalonia-based British journalist is another example of someone happier in Catalan www.matthewtree.cat/index.php…

This book of his is interesting, if you can read Catalan: www.matthewtree.cat/index.php…

But you're right, that cp Begur , in Vic it's a help to have some Catalan.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 10:03
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Figueres/Girona

Traveler-TO, to go back to your question. it depends how much that organised trip costs but I wouldn't discount the idea completely. You would get straight into the Dalí museum I would imagine (no queuing) and although it is indeed possible to visit Girona on your own a guided tour could be very interesting.

I've been on a couple of guided tours in Barcelona in the Raval and the Call (ghetto) and learned a lot (and i've lived in Barcelona for over 20 years!). I've only done Girona on my own and am sure the same would be true of a guided tour there . It's the same when I show friends round Barcelona they get to places that they wouldn't if they just went around on their own armed with a map e.g Santa Anna church In fact it was being with me showing some visitors around that my hiusband saw "Els Quatre Gats " for the first time and he's Barcelona-born and bred!