We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo female- where to stay in barcelona

new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
solo female- where to stay in barcelona

I am 30 and married but am coming to barcelona solo towards the end of nov and trying to decide on a place to stay. I was thinking of la ramblas but i feel it might be unsafe for me. Then i looked into Eixample because it seems to be closest to all the Gaudi stuf i want to see. I am coming to see mostly the Gaudi, picasso and dali stuff. I also want to take day trips out of barcelona. perhaps figueres. Can anyone recommend an area or place to stay for a week? thank you so much for any help you can give.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,279 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo female- where to stay in barcelona

Hola Mslinh!

Please DON'T stay on Las Ramlas. There are much nicer places... and less expensive too.

Yesiloves2travel visited recently by herself and had a great time at BarcelonaBB. It's in L'Eixample. You can read her trip report and also the trip reports of other solo travelers on the new FAQ - How Do I Travel Alone?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c166365/Bar…

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo female- where to stay in barcelona

Hilarious mslinh!

Hi Gigi!!

I most certainly recommend BarcelonaBB!! Great area, I went solo as well, and felt very safe even walking at 1am!

The BB is amazing and the owner kiku is such a great host!! I stayed in the yellow room and paid 55 euros! With breakfast ( obviously since it's a bed and "breakfast") 4 blocks from sagrada familia 3 blocks from passage de gracia and 3/4 block from the metro.

Barcelona is very very safe and eixample area is wonderful!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo female- where to stay in barcelona

Hola Mslinh!

For a week's stay, you may want to consider an apartment. While I often sing the praises of staying in the old city, if your primary interest is Gaudi sites, Eixample is probably more convenient for you. There are lots of convenient apartments (See FAQ at http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c158711/Barcelona:Spain:Apartment.Rental.html). I have rented from Habitat once (and will again in November) and Negre once, both good experiences. I agree with G_M; don't stay on Las Ramblas. There are many charming neighborhoods in the old city, but I would not count Las Ramblas among them.

I had a week on my own in Barcelona this past May and felt incredibly comfortable. My Spanish was next to nothing (I've learned a tiny bit since then) but the city is easy to navigate, the people were patient with my language issues, and I felt safe at all times. I head back for a month on my own in November. It's a very easy city to feel at home in.

Since you'll be there for a week and are interested in day trips, you might want to add Colonia Güell to your list of sites. It's really a half day trip at most, a 20 or 30 minute train ride and a small town. Gaudi's church there (aka his crypt) is perhaps my favorite of his sites.

ETA: If you are interested in modernisme architecture, don't forget the non-Gaudi sites. There are many. The Palau de la Música Catalana is absolutely extraordinary.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 14:18
4. Re: solo female- where to stay in barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 15:18