We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

I have an over the shoulder bag which rests in front of me below my chest on either side, it is zipped, and has another zip which I can fit my phone in.

I have to carry my Iphone with me at all times for business purposes and I'm quite worried about taking it. It is essential I take the Iphone for my emails, applications and as there is a lot of contacts saved to it. I will not use the phone in public for all to see unless it is an absolute emergency.

Would a pickpocket be skilled enough to get in front of my body, and un-open two zips without me realising? Are they THAT good?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

You are overreacting a bit. Hundreds of people use their cellphones in publc every day in BCN without any problem.

And just in case, activate "Find my iPhone" if you are subscribed to MobileMe...

Edited: 22 September 2011, 11:28
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

Gareth:

Pickpockets are not Houdinis. As MACPollo says, do not worry too much. You will see hundreds of people on the streets in Barcelona talking on their mobile phones.

Liverpool, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

Thanks guys you've put my mind at ease a little. Hopefully no Houdini's out there!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

I am in Barcelona now on my 2nd of the 4 dasy vacation. And I already got 2 attempts of pick pocketing and 1 attempt of bag snatch (just an hour ago) in the metro. Lucky I am aware enough to avoid any loses. PLEASE be aware of your belong at ALL time there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

Well, I've been many times, 3 times in the last 18 months inc a 14 day family holiday and we've nothing to report! You are a "target" if you look like a tourist in a tourist haunt, otherwise I'd say Barcelona is much safer than any UK City, I'd rather walk with a camera round my neck, at mdnight, through La Raval than do the same in Liverpool that's for sure!

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

I agree with Benny and MACpollo!

I was there in early September, and no attempts.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

just pop your phone in your pocket and relax,if you walk about with a huge bag round your front ,you will attract more attention.

enjoy your trip

8. Re: Pickpockets and taking mobile phone out and about

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 18:20