We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
460 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

After our 10 A.M. entry to SF, we'll stop somewhere for a menu del dia before heading to Parc Guell for the rest of the afternoon. Rather than heading back to another area, we'd like to stay in the area of the Gaudi sights we're visiting. Is there a reason Bodega Manolo never appears on any list of recommendations? Appears very neighborhood-ish; very local, which is the venue we're seeking. Anyone have personal experience with it? Will our rudimentary use of Spanish be a problem there? (dictionary, food terms listed on this site, pantomimes, and un poquito espanol.) Our trips are always more exciting with the help of our TA friends. Any recommendations are much appreciated. (I also read an article about Libentia (sp?), but the scarcity of reviews and the modern atmosphere make it less appealing than a local place frequented by the neighborhood folks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Hola Singingintherain!

I've never been to Bodega Manolo but it sounds like it will fit your bill.

timeout.com/barcelona/…bodega-manolo

Libentia is a newish, smallish, bistronomic place created by young chefs from several big-time restaurants. I had a reservation there but ended up canceling in favour of Manairo. In the past, I've combined our visit to the Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell with lunch at Alkimia.

One other place you might consider is Tibet. It's much closer to Parc Guell whereas Manolo is kind of between the 2 attractions and not very close to any metro station. There aren't too many reviews on TA and they aren't very positive reviews, however, TA reviews are not always that accurate.

www.bcnrestaurantes.com/eng/barcelona.asp…

Edited: 25 September 2011, 15:32
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Google info about Tibet.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=tibet+barcelona&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=tibet&hnear=0x12a4987126ed28f5:0x400fae021a40330,Barcelona,+Spain&cid=17320769944968456099

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
460 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Thank you again, gigismum. You always have great advice--I'll put Tibet on the "to consider" list. Thought we'd either walk or take a cab between SF and Parc Guell, though I have notes somewhere on the bus route that drops you off at the side entrance to the park so that it is a downhill walk. Isn't there also a restaurant in the park? Reluctant to try someplace that might be sterile and sacrifice quality food for convenience. Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Thanks for saying thanks, Singingintherain!

I'm with you on the "sterile ..." bit. The little outdoor cafe in the park is scenic (and VERY important as a marker for the ONLY toilet in the park that is not a portable!) but it's very basic stuff and expensive.

Right outside the front door, there's a restaurant although I've never eaten there. It might be okay and not too sterile.

restaurantparkguell.com/es/Parc-Guell.aspx

If the weather is good and it's a weekday/Sat., I would choose to buy some fresh stuff from the Mercat de la Sagrada Familia and have a picnic.

…bcn.cat/portal/…

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
460 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Funny you should say that about the market...it was my first choice to do that until I read about the Bodega Manolo! We still may resort to that--that would simplify our travels between sights, too. Again.....and again....thanks!

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
460 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

and an El Gapo location is also between the two sights....possibly the best choice for predictably good Catalan cuisine? What do you think: El Glop, Cal Boter, or Bodega Manolo?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

I like the way you think, Singingintherain! :-p

Taverna El Glop is an excellent idea. I haven't eaten at the one in Gracia but it should be very similar to the 2 on Rambla de Catalunya and carrer de Casp. May I throw another ^2*(3^5)^3& into your equation?

Cal Xim, the new Barcelona location of a traditional Catalan place from the mountains of Subirat. It's even closer to the Sagrada Familia. Pls see the little map I've made you and also pls take time to drool over the pictures from the original Cal Xim. It's on my list for next summer.

http://www.calxim.com/index.php

flickr.com/photos/encantadisimo/5448211071/

http://g.co/maps/dxfja

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

I don't want to throw another wrench in your plans, but...how long do you think you'll stay at Sagrada Familia? Lunch in Spain is later than most of us in the US are accustomed to, and many places won't open until 1:30 (13:30) (Cal Xim, for instance, starts serving lunch at 13:30). You may find you have some stroll/wander time between SF and lunch. Just something to consider.

BTW, I absolutely love the Hendersonville area!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

Oopsy,

Did you stay less than 3 hrs the 1st time you visited the Sagrada Familia? I didn't. There was so much to see and contemplate. We got there at 9 am and stayed until 1 pm. 4 hours. Then, we slowly walked a few blocks over to Alkimia. We got there about 1:20 pm and waited 10 min for the restaurant to open.

Singingintherain's tickets for the Sagrada Familia are from 10 am. As long as she isn't planning to zip in and zip out, the timing should be right.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bodega Manolo? Need restaurant between SF & Parc Guell

I'd be curious to see what the average stay is. We took our time (though didn't visit the exhibit) our first trip and we're there for ~2 hours. (Also important: we only had about a 5 minute wait for the elevator, and most of the interior was closed off for construction). It depends on one's travel style, but I certainly have seen folks flit in and out quickly. I would guess your first stay was much, much longer than most people's.