We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A nice excursion close to Girona

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
A nice excursion close to Girona

If you go to Girona area, I think a good excurssion would be going to Banyoles (just 15kms. from the City) The vila vella (old town) is very nice to walk around and L´Estany (the lake) is just amazing in all seasons.

If you like good restaurantes there are many in the area: Restaurant L´Arpa (1 Michelin Star) is in the village and just beside the lake there are Restaurant La Carpa and Restaurant Mirallac, among others) You many like to have a look at Banyoles website:

www.banyoles.cat/controller.php…

You may like to have a look at these pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/joseantonio/banyoles

You can go to Banoles by bus from Girona:

http://www.teisa-bus.com/

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,027 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

good point JOSEANTONIO.

Banyoles is a nice town and l'estany too. Perhaps it is not a full day visit but doing Banyoles-Girona same day instead of the popular Figueres-Girona if they don't like Gaudi is a good option.

Teisa goes there from Barcelona too.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Hola Jose Antonio!

Those pictures are so beautiful. They make me feel like.....ommmm...... meditating by the side of the water..... listening for the call of the birds.... walking around with no purpose.... taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly.... mmmmmm......

I could NEVER go to Banyoles.

I might lose myself there.

And forget all about crime, pickpocketing, Las Ramblas, the human statues...

I might forget to use a Google map and group attractions by area....

:-)

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Hola Gigis_mum,

I loved the area, and being only 45 kms. from home, go there from time to time. I will be going later this month, when the autumn colors are spectacular.

I think you would like to visit that restaurant in Banyoles (Restaurant L´Arpa)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

I would definitely like the restaurant! Walking in nature and feeling relaxed always gives me an appetite!

Looking forward to seeing more of your Images of Beauty.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Gracias for another lovely day trip idea Jose Antonio! I had already planned on separate day trips to Figueres and Girona in November, so I think I'll add Banyoles to the Girona day. It looks lovely and relaxing.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

I agree with the recommendation. The area around the lake is great for jogging (the complete loop is about 7km) and different sport events are organised in Banyoles through the year, like triathlons and the annual lake swim crossing in September.

Not far from Banyoles is Olot with its extinct vulcanos and la Fageda d'en Jordà (stunning beech woods).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Beautiful photos Joseantonio!

I do agree its a great recommendation for a daytrip. Not sure I would add it to Girona indeed (IMO, a full daytrip for Girona is the bare minimum to make justice to this lovely town). Figueres+Banyoles looks a better plan to me, as Figueres has much less interest on itself apart of the Dali museum. But these are of course personal opinions. Every time I went to Banyoles I did spend the full day there :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Banyoles + Besalú is what we've done a couple of times (eating in Curia Reial in Besalú).

I think you need a car though, not sure it's do-able in a day by bus.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Belsaita, I'll put some more thought into how to combine day trips. I think I'm going to try for 4 of them: Figureres (which I am planning on for a shorter day trip day--train, museum, train), Girona (not my first trip but the other was quite short), and then two others. Banyoles is now a possibility as its own. Other possibilities: Terrassa, Tarragona, perhaps an overnight in La Seu d'Urgell. I'll need to do all day trips via bus or train. At some point I'm going to have to put more thought into this trip!

Lynda, we went to Besalú in May in large part based on your recommendation on the boards and in the FAQ. We loved it!

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A nice excursion close to Girona

Photography at its most spectacular...the voice of humility and kindness speaks through JoseAntonio's work...our Jose...our friend....knowing him and admiring his work has been a privilege...a real privilege...