We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Barcelona

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Barcelona

Hello,

im 23 years old and im staying alone in Barcelona for 3 nights. I would like to know which area would be safe but also in the heart of barcelona (near to the bars,restaurants,beach..etc).¨

My budget would be max 400euros per 3 nights. Thank you very much for your tips. Lucy

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

You may want to start by reviewing the FAQ on the neighborhoods of Barcelona:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-s204/Barcelon…

The Born area may be a good choice for you--lots of bars and tapas spots, lots happening in the evening (though not night clubs), lots of fun boutique stores. There are key sites in Born/Riberia and easy access to others in Barri Gòtic and Eixample. Also easy access to the beach.

Many regulars here prefer to stay near Plaça Catalunya. It's not my preference, but some folks like it because its centrally located, they like the broad avenues of the area, and there are many sites and restaurants nearby. I'm sure others will chime in on that.

A bit further out of the center is Gracia, which has great shops, restaurants, bars, etc. and feels a bit less touristy. It may be too far from most sites for a short trip, though.

happy planning!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

Thank you for your advise, would also anyone know some good hotel to stay in? Im looking for some better place but not too expensive maybe with a gym and pool where i can relax and enjoy my holiday even more? Im also not so sure about the safety-after reading so many bad reviews about pickpockets and other bad things happening on the street...if i use my common sense and dont behave stupid will i be ok even at night when im travelling alone? Thank you

Edited: 04 October 2011, 20:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

I'd agree with oopsy, Born is a great convenient area to stay in. Barcelona is safe, stop worrying.

Edited: 04 October 2011, 20:35
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

Hola Lucy!

Heachy, Ubish and Yesiloves2travel are some lady travelers who went solo in Barcelona. You can read their trip reports on this FAQ - How do I travel alone?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c166365/Bar…

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

There is a pick pocket problem in Barcelona, but you will greatly reduce your odds of being a victim of it if you use some common sense. I spent a week on my own (after a week with my husband) in May and felt quite safe. I usually walked or took the metro home between 11 and 12 and did not feel threatened or uncomfortable. I'm headed back on my own for a month soon, and even with minimal Spanish and less Catalan, I feel quite comfortable with the idea of being out and about on my own.

I don't know hotels in Barcelona; I've only rented apartments. I do know that on Booking.com you can filter for places that have swimming pools. That will of course greatly reduce your options. In terms of the Born area I recommended for you, I have a friend who stayed at the Banys Oriental, well within your price range, and quite liked it. (no pool though) There are other hotels in the area (some more basic, some nicer); I just am not familiar with them. Lots of reviews here on TA, though, and I'm sure other members will come along to give you advice.

Unless the pool is quite important to you, I would decide first which area you want to stay in--that will shape your stay more than the pool. Then you can look at hotel options in that area.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

How far is Born from the beach and city center..is everything in the walking distance? because i would not feel very comfortable taking taxi or using public transport, i would prefer much more if i just could walk everywhere. Thank you

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

I would consider Born to be part of the city center, but I don't know if others would feel that way. It is part of the old city, adjacent to Barri Gòtic. You can quite comfortably walk to the beach, and to all the sites of Born/La Riberia and Barri Gòtic, and most of the key sites of Eixample. (Sagrada Familia would be doable but a bit longer than others at just a bit under 3km from Santa Maria del Mar in the Born). If you chose to see sites on Montjuic (and with only 3 days, you may not), you've got a bit more a walk as well (around 4km from Santa Maria del Mar to MNAC).

All that said, the metro really is easy to use. I am not a big city gal. I've never lived in a city with a public train system. I found the system in Barcelona incredibly easy to learn and use.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

Ok, if i was gonna choose between Born area and Plaza Catalunya,which one would be more convinient? THANK YOU

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

I'm not sure one is more convenient than the other, other than Born being more convenient to the beach. They are both quite close and walkable to the main sites. I think it comes down to a matter of taste.

I find the hustle and bustle of taxis and buses and tourist buses of Plaça Catalunya a bit much (though I did enjoy walking by a few times last trip to see demonstrations, I just would not like to stay near there and be greeted with it whenever I left my apartment or hotel). As you go up Passeig de Gracia a bit (or the neighboring and quieter Rambla de Catalunya), you get a bit away from that into broad avenues. Many people name Rambla de Catalunya as their favorite street in Barcelona.

I just prefer the old city for where I stay. We really loved Born, and I'll likely return there in March for a short stay. It has a lot of great energy, I like the winding pedestrian streets. We enjoyed sitting on a bench on Passeig de Gracia in the evening and just soaking it all in.

You may want to take a look at google maps, zoom in to street view, and explore both areas yourself.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Barcelona

THANK YOU very much for all helpful tips im sure it will be much easier for me do decide where i want to stay now.

Have a nice day