We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

hi all.

I'm planning go to Barcelona next year around January-February. I'll be traveling at Barcelona for 3 days. And I'm thinking to stay at Hotel Sagrada Familia since the place is near Sagrada Familia. I saw some of the review from trip advisor that this hotel wasn't bad. But just curious is there any cafe near this hotel? since high chance I won't take breakfast from the hotel.

And do u think it's safe to go to Barcelona alone? I'm female and I'll go around Barcelona alone. And I have quite limited budget, do u think how much is the food price around Barcelona? Just the standard food. I don't eat expensive food. so that I'll know how much money I should bring to Barcelona.

Thanks in advance to whoever answer my questions ! :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

Hola oni_lovely and welcome to Tripadvisor!

Many other female members have visited Barcelona on their own. You can read their trip reports on this FAQ - How do I travel alone? (linked below)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c166365/Bar…

There are usually little cafes near most hotels and from the hotel reviews of the Hotel Sagrada Familia, previous guests have mentioned the numerous bars and eateries nearby.

If I were traveling alone, I would probably choose a place closer to Passeig de Gracia or Rambla de Catalunya. It's prettier, with its Moderniste buildings including Gaudi's Casa Batllo and Casa Mila (La Pedrera). Even more little cafes in this area. Some names of moderately priced accomodations include BarcelonaBB, Hostal Goya and Hostal Oliva.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

hi gigis_mum

thanks for ur reply ! :)

and yes, i'm still thinking whether to take Hotel Sagrada Familia or any other hotel near Las Ramba. If I'm going to stay at hotel near Las Ramba high chance I'll take Praktik Hotel. but since my main destination is Sagrada Familia, I thinking to stay near that church.

And do u have any idea around how much money we need to bring if we'll stay at Barcelona for 3 days, for 1 person, excluding flight and hotel?

Thanks !

Piacenza, Italy
Level Contributor
662 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

Most of the times I'm a solo traveller and I've been to Barcelona tonz of times. For me there's no problem at all, I've always felt safe. I've travelled aslo a couple of times by night by public transports and I felt fine, too. Well, probably it's my favorite destination... but I feel to suggest you not to worry too much. It's an ok place in my opinion.

As for costs... it depends on where you want to go eating. There are restaurants for any price and lots of places such as bakeries and supermarkets where you can find food to save some money. Personally I often take into consideration bufferts when I'm on a limited budget: with something like 10 euro you can eat as much as you want. ;)

Edited: 07 November 2011, 16:01
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

Mona has already given you some good advice. I'll just add what local Barcelona friends always tell me: go for the menu del dia (lunch time special)! These are 3 courses and can cost under 10 euros.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
182 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

I was in Barcelona last month - I'm a woman traveling solo and I didn't feel unsafe at all. However, I never saw a Menu del Dia for under 10 Euros like Gigi's Mom said.......more likely they were around 15 Euros, but still a good deal. A menu del dia lunch was my main meal of the day, then I'd eat something light for dinner.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

15 euros is probably more common but if you plan ahead, there are some places where you can eat relatively well for less. For example:

El Glop, is it still 8 euros?

La Rita, 9.40 euros

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Cafe Josephine, 12 euros

60by80.com/barcelona/…josephine.html

Anima, 10 euros

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Edited: 08 November 2011, 02:05
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

thank you so much guys for the reply ! really appreciate it. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

I travelled to Barcelona alone in June 2011 and had a fabulous time. I stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer which is about 2 minutes from Placa Catalunya/Las Rumblas. The location was perfect and I felt completely safe walking day or night. There were several evenings where I was walking back to the hotel around midnight. I pretty much went about as I pleased. I had been forewarned about taking the metro at night as well as walking along Las Ramblas after dark. Did both without incident.

Have a great time.

New England
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

Hola Gigi's Mum,

Which El Glop or is it all three?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go to Barcelona alone. Is it safe?

Hola Duncan!

I'm sure the 2 Glops closer to the well-traveled tourist areas have a menu del dia. I'd guess that the one in Gracia would have it too but I'm not sure about that.

Braseria El Glop, near the Palau de la Musica Catalana, carrer de Casp 21

El Glop de la Rambla, near Passeig de Gracia, Rambla de Catalunya 65