We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milano
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

They force you to pay 80€ for the gasoline, even if you rent a small car that is cheap. We've been to bilbao from barcelona where we filled the tank with less than 50€. When we got back to BCN and we asked explanations regarding that they easily told us that is a normal thing and they couldn't help you! They are robbing 30€ to anyone rent a car from them. be smart don't get robbed from them!

42 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

There's nothing obvious in their Ts&Cs about this. I've usually seen this offered as an option e.g. pay for a tank and return it empty OR take it away full and return full. If you weren't offered this, then perhaps you should query it with them, especially if it was not made clear at the time of booking.

Milano
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

I've booked the car online on traveljigsaw page, so I've got the reservation done before to know the company's name.

Once you get there for the check in, they force you to pay that money even if you book it online.

There are no options. if you what the car you need to pay that amount, even for a chep car!

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

Below is the policy I found (very easily on their site by scrolling nearly to the bottom ubder general conditions). Clearly they are not selling the fuel to you at "market price" and I do not know who they think they are "competitive " with, re the price.

There are a number of threads about this company and this practice of over charging for fuel. I hope other potential renters read them.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…18254171

"7.FUEL POLICY

When hiring a vehicle, customers may choose the fuel policy set out herein that is best suited to their needs:

a.ORDINARY FULL/EMPTY OPTION

Customers who choose this option pay for a full fuel tank at the Goldcar facilities, at the market price for fuel of the type recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer.

By selecting this option, customers waive a refund for any fuel remaining in the tank when they return the vehicle.

Goldcar provides this service at competitive fuel prices as a courtesy to our customers.

b.DISCOUNT FULL/EMPTY OPTION(Only for rental periods of 3 days or less)

Customers who choose this option pay for a full fuel tank at the Goldcar facilities, at the market price for fuel of the type recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer.

Customers are refunded for the amount of fuel remaining in the tank when they return the vehicle to Goldcar, according to the eighths of tank recorded on the vehicle’s fuel gauge.

This option only applies to vehicles hired for a rental period of three days or less. The ORDINARY FULL/EMPTY option will apply to any additional days not included in this option."

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

They tried it on with me on arrival in Southern Spain but I had insisted in advance, that I would only accept a full/full policy and asked for it in writing. I said I would book with another company if they didn't agree to it. They agreed and sent me an email which I printed off and took with me. The staff at the desk wouldn't accept my word for it so I produced the email print off and they backed down. I still had to put a fuel deposit by credit card which is normal practice anyway and this was refunded after a week or two. I made sure that they signed off the fuel when I took the car back.

I recently had a problem with Europcar in Bordeux. The car was checked and signed off but I still received a bill. I left the car absolutely full (actually more than we got). I threatened them with legal action and they refunded me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

I wouldn't rent from Goldcar full stop. Rented from them in Mallorca & they charged me for a full tank. We were using the air con & driving long distances all the time. So I had to fill up. The car was running fine even when I dropped it. They somehow charged me for repairs (first disguising it as the charge for hiring the car, although it was prepaid) & afterwards claimed I had put diesel instead of petrol, which is ridiculous since if I did that, I would have had problems even before returning it. Various calls & emails were unsatisfactory. Got my credit card company involved but even they were unable to obtain a refund as the company ha the ultimate say (don't know why that would be!).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

VPS,

How did you prove that you returned the car with a full tank? Were you planning to show them the receipt from the gas station?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

I still don't see that condition, VPS. Perhaps we're looking at different websites. I'm on http://www.goldcar.es/en/

I would not rent a car on the ORDINARY FULL/EMPTY OPTION which is presumably what the OP had, but that presupposes that the renter knows about it in advance and when booked through an agency it's possible that this rule would be 'overlooked'.

The condition does state 'market price' which is easy to establish and challenge, but it's easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight.

The last private rental I had was on the full/full basis which is probably fairest, although you should confirm that full means full on pick-up. From memory, the charge that would be imposed by the rental company, SHOULD THE VEHICLE BE RETURNED ONLY PART FULL to re-fuel was punitive - about 30% higher than market price, but in that circumstance, with 2 x 24 hr supermarket petrol stations within 500 metres away, it would be the renter's fault if he/she did not fill-up before return. Seems that the concensus is to avoid goldcar.

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

Hi Panda

The site is

http://www.goldcar.es/en/servicios/

Then scroll down through 'General Conditions'

Lots of complaints about Gold car so best avoided until they learn their lesson.

Hi Gigi, I didn't prove it, just challenged them and gave a description of the check in guy and that he signed etc. No receipt for the petrol we paid cash but it would be useless anyway because all that proves, is that we put some petrol in close to the drop off point. I was furious because we are so careful about checking conditions, refuelling etc. we would have taken legal action if necessary.

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

Yeah, you also might become robbed at the Gold Car rental station in Barcelona, airport. Just this happened to my parents yesterday infront of the rental office. All their personal belongins were taken from the car in one minute and nobody noticed anything as they say.

People should avoid this place. Nothing is cheap nowadays, for cheap you will have to pay dobble if not more + a lot of headache as a bonus.

Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona

I agree. The problems with Goldcar are

1. It is not clear where to meet the courtesy bus. The instructions say that it is in front of the taxi queue but there are two taxi queues at terminal 2.

2. The bring back empty policy only works if you are renting for long enough to use the fuel. If you rent for a long weekend, forget it.

3. The cost of fuel is extortionate anyway.

4. They try to hit you with a CDW charge of E15 per day extra unless you put at E650 / E850 deposit down with them.

All this may be explained on their website but as a customer it just smelled of a GREAT BIG RIP-OFF

Reply to: Don't rent a car from Goldcar in Barcelona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted