We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

I'm a 20yo woman who will be spending 3 months in an apartment in Barcelona, Catalunya. I'm traveling alone.

I've arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport and transfer me to my accommodation. Unfortunately, due to the holiday I will have a 1-3 hour wait (by myself) before an employee will be there with keys to let me into my flat.

(1-3 hrs depends on how long it takes for me to get my luggage/security/traffic/etc.)

I'll likely have one BIG suitcase, a carry-on suitcase, and a large bag with me. I'll arrive in the afternoon.

My question is-- What do I do during this wait? There are plenty of bars and cafes nearby, would it be fine for me to go sit in one with all that luggage? I also hear that Barca is notorious for pickpockets and whatnot.. and this may sound silly, but if I'm walking around with all those bags, is it likely for someone to make off with one of them?

What is your best-bet for the proper and safe way for me to spend this time?

Thank you so much for any tips or advice!

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,046 reviews
from US$145.50*
Special Offer
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,951 reviews
from US$44.00*
US$48.90
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,652 reviews
from US$111.60*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
441 reviews
from US$111.87*
US$117.76
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Since you're not familiar with the city and the area, and since you'll be arriving at the airport, why not have wait there until closer to the time you can meet the person with the keys to the apartment. There are over 80 shops and restaurants at El Prat (aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/…Home.html). You can check your luggage and relax. Just change you pick up time to better coordinate with you're arrival at the apartment.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Hola befree and welcome to TA Barcelona,

If you end up having 2+ hrs, you could ride the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya, leave your luggage in the locker storage near Placa Catalunya and have a snack or a stroll along Passeig de Gracia. Pls see the Top Question on Arriving & Departing.

Edited: 10 December 2011, 06:30
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

a big and heavy luggage is not the best target for a thief .. it is quite hard run with it :p

i like Gigis_mum option. easy to do and you will get a nicer welcome memory doing it that just wait at airport or wast 3 hours in a bar.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Your question is not''' silly'', it's logical. I would definitely stay at the airport, as was suggested. Come on !! You're renting an apartment for 3 months and they can't give you the keys without your waiting 1'3 hours? You´re arriving at 3 PM, not 3 AM. Outrageous !!! I would look for other accomodations. Imagine their reply, if you have tto call them to report that you have no hot water? ''Let's see, it's Friday, we should be able to have some there on Monday?.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Airport if you want or if you don't mind paying for storing the luggage, do as suggested.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

In a way,xchocolatex has made a good point about the poor reception you're getting. I've never had to wait 3 hrs for an apt rep to show up. Usually , I give them my arrival info, call them when I've actually arrived and meet them at the apt. In one case, the rep told me by email that if I arrived any later, it would conflict with another check-in he had already scheduled. In that case, I would have to wait until he finished. That was no problem for me. I was having lunch nearby so I just made sure to get there on time.

I hope this is a good apt with an honest owner.....

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Thank you all for your good ideas! Is it still horrible service if the delay is due to holiday hours? It is a school that owns the apartments, so their employees get the holiday (or most of it) off.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

School property! That explains it. ;-) I thought it was an apt owned by an individual.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

If you are coming from the States I don't think the looking-at-shops-at-the-airport option applies as you will come through passport control and then on to luggage claim and out. The shops are all airside .

Maybe with flights coming from Schengen zone you come into the main passenger terminal with chance to browse in shops before going to baggage claim. However I'm not sure about that as all my Schengen flights are with Easyjet and other budget operators so we arrive in terminal 2 which these days has hardly any shops at all.

I think simplest probably is to sit in a bar near the apartment. If it's a less touristy area, less danger of things disappearing (airports are not perfect in that sense though most problems in check-in area).

Gigis-mum's suggestion is also good, if you feel like exploring a bit, or you also have the option then of sitting in El corte inglés cafe, on ninth floor with wonderful views of Plaça Catalunya and beyond (the aerobus stops outside the store.)

Edited: 13 December 2011, 16:19
buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I be safe on the streets with all my luggage?

Holiday hours?? ''Sorry, folks, the flight crew is still Christmas shopping, therefore, the flight will depart an hour later. Happy Holidays fron XYZ Air''

If you're going to be in Barcelona for 3 months, you'll have many opprtunites to see the view of Plaza Catalunya from the 9th floor of a department store.

There shouldn't be any problem getting your bags to the 9th floor??

Folks, I don't know this young American woman, but I do know that after a long trip, the only thing that she wants to do is to get the place where she is going to be staying. She doesn't want to go to a bar. (The age to enter a bar where she's from is 21), she doesn't want to sights see etc. I lived in Barcelona for 5 years. I know if they say 1-3 hours, it could be 5 hours. I once waited for a guy to show me an apartment. I waited forever, until he arrived. His excuse was that there was heavy traffic. He came on a motor scooter !!