We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

Hi all,

We are going to Barcelona for the 1st time at the end of February. We'll have 7 full days/nights, arriving and leaving on Monday mornings.

I am sure we could easily spend the whole time in the city, with so much to see and do, but a day trip (or two!) is very tempting as well. One trip I'd like to do is Montserrat; please help me decide whether we even need the second one, and if yes, which:

1. Girona

2. Figueres

3. Sitges

I like the idea of each of these places, for different reasons; which would you recommend? (I've already looked up the travel times; please comment on the experience :)

Thanks much!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

It, of course, depends on your interests

I particularly love Girona, so I may be a little biased. Some people combine Figueres (Dali´s museum) with Girona, departing early in the morning and returned late in the evening, but for me it could be a long day, but it can easily be done

Hope to have helped.

Jose

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

As the previous poster mentioned it all depends on your personal tastes. Mine is also Girona. I love this old, hilly town of stone with the amazing Cathedral.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

Thank you, it didn't occur to me to put these two together!

I forgot to mention that we won't be renting a car but taking trains/buses everywhere. Even so, with only about 30 min by train from Figueres to Girona, it is indeed possible to do both in one (long!) day :)

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

I loved Girona as well... (went with spanish trails to there as they are great)

it is so easy to spend every day in Barcelona and never get bored...but jumping on the train is an easy daytime detour too

then walk Barcelona at days end

one of my fav day trips was to Figueres & Dali's museum... the museum was worth the trip alone and Figueres a very nice town to experience...did that trip on my own...public transport so easy in Spain

enjoyed the museum...had a great late lunch..took the train home to El Born ...relaxed then strolled up the street to enjoy a concert at Palau Musica Catalana

Happy Planning :)

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

I think it depends on what your interests are. I enjoyed all three for different reasons. Figueres is amazing for the Dali museum. I was completely blown away by it, and I didn't go into it as a Dali fan. Girona is a lovely city, wonderful for wandering but also with several good historical sites. Sitges seems to me to be more for relaxing and strolling than for its sites.

I think you can play it by ear. Get up in the morning, decide if you're up for a day trip, and then decide what kind of a mood you're in. None of these trips needs to be booked in advance.

I know people combine Figueres and Girona for one day trip, using the train. I just can't imagine it. I would feel rushed in both places and likely miss out on seeing Girona (as opposed to checking off the key sites).

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,433 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

Sound advice above. I particularly liked "Get up in the morning, decide if you're up for a day trip ". You might decide that you want to see as much of Barcelona as possible. If it was me, then I would be looking for two days out. I'd also add Tarragona to your list, if you have an interest in classical era remains. I put Tarragona on a par with Girona but have a special affection for the place as I've now stayed there on several occasions and feel I'm getting to know it quite well. Girona has a lovely setting and an unmissable city wall whilst Tarragona has a delightful old quarter and first class Roman relics. The Circ Roma is first class and the Passeig Archeologico quite lovely. To me, Tarragona was better for eating, too. We found a nice place in Girona but Tarragona has the beautifully situated Pulvinar which does excellent Italian food and has a great location, especially if you're able to sit outside.

Whichever you choose you'll have a fascinating time.

7. Re: In a week, is 2 day trips too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 10:20