We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to San Sebastian

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Train to San Sebastian

Looking at the RENFE site - and it doesn't seem to matter what dates I put in, the price for an adult ticket is the same - we are travelling in late April, and I know it is too early to book yet - but I was trying to get an idea of the cost.

Also - how early do you need to be at the station for your train - there are only 2 listed for thisjourney (on a Sunday) - one at 7.30am - so trying to work out if we need to get up at sparrow's ...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Hola Demon!

To get an idea of the cost, choose a Sunday just under the 62 day mark. There should still be lots of web discount fares available. I had a look and the lowest fare was 37.90 euros one way.

You might also consider flying. Have a look at Vueling and Iberia. Iberia is normally more expensive but sometimes advance ticket specials are available. I bought a r/t Bcn-San Se for 100 euros.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 03:07
Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Thanks - what date did you use? I can't seem to get the discounts no matter what date I use. Re flying - we only want to go one way - and the prices for Iberia is only cheap if you get a return. I though the train would be good cos you get to see some of the countryside. Are you able to answer the time question - how early we need to be at station?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to San Sebastian

If you already have your tickets there's no need to get to the station more than 30 minutes before the train leaves.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Cheap oneway flights Barcelona to San Sebastian check www.vueling.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to San Sebastian

I used March 18. If you can't see any discounts, you must be on the wrong page (Renfe illogic strikes again). From the Home page, did you click on Purchase? It would take you to venta.Renfe.com. See if the link below works.

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/inicioCompra.do

Keep in mind also that when you buy an AVE ticket, you get free access by Cercanias (aka Rodalies in Barcelona) from the nearest Cercanias-served station to Sants station (where the AVE departs). So if you're staying near Placa Catalunya for example, you can hop on the Cercanias train and quickly access Sants station for free.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 04:27
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Sorry, the AVE doesn't serve BCN -San Se. It's the Alvia so you will have to pay a few euros for the Cercanias (Rodalies) train to Sants but at least it's fast with few stops.

Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Once again Gigis_mum, thanks. You are fast becoming my "go to" on everything to do with our trip.

I think I need to do some more reading - I didn't realise that Sants wasn't in Barcelonia centre. We are staying at Eric Vokel Gaudi - not sure how far that is from Sants - so taking on board the need to be at the station half an hour before the train leaves, we may be getting up very early, and it may be better to get the afternoon train instead?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Ha ha. Just call me "G_M" for "go-to_mum". :-)

Lucky you, from Eric Vokel Gaudi Suites to Sants is one straight metro ride on L5! It'll be about 15 min and you won't even have to go into the centre of town. You are kind of 'up to the right' and Sants is 'up to the left'.

I made a Google map for you.

http://g.co/maps/29tmh

As for early vs. late departure to San Se, you know what's on my mind... I'd make the investment in an early start (you can always nap on the train) and get to San Se in time for pintxos!

Edited: 25 January 2012, 03:53
Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to San Sebastian

Muy bien - gracias

10. Re: Train to San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2013, 10:32