We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good restaurant

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
good restaurant

hi,i am looking for really good restaurant recommendations that are not too expensive,i am sure local knowledge is always best.price range 60 euro total 2 course meal for 2 people with bottle of wine approx.we are into european,italian,tex/mex steakhouses etc

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,510 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: good restaurant

This will not disappoint, and may well be a suitable venue for that other matter.

www.4gats.com/

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good restaurant

looks good.cheers.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good restaurant

4gats is pretty expensive and the food is just normal in my opinion. There are so many other places that are better. The best Mexican restaurant in Barcelona is Los Chiles in Poblenou and it is the cheapest too. As long as you aren't looking for an amazing ambience, the important thing being the food and price, then Los Chiles is the best.

El Glop or Cinco Jotas in the Rambla de Catalunya isn't too bad either for Catalan food although it might be over budget. If you are looking to save money, try to grab the Menu del día.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good restaurant

great info.thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good restaurant

Interesting info about Los Chiles You-Stylish! I have to try, and its in my neighborhood :)

However, for a visitor I would rather advise sampling some local food. You can get italian, tex/mex, steakhouses etc virtually anywhere in the world. But authentic Catalan cuisine at affordable prices are not that easy to find.

I do agree about Quatre Gats. It is a VERY nice place, but a bit overpriced. You get decent food, not extraordinary, but you pay more. If this is OK for you, go for it. If you mind your budget, you can do as I did a few times with visiting friends: have a drink/apperitif in Els Quatre Gats, so you see the place (do not miss the restrooms ;-)), then move to Set de Gotic, next door, for about the same decent Catalan food without the 'nice setting tax': www.setbarcelona.es/En-set/bienvenida.html

Any of El Glop (a few in town) are good bets too.

As well, the tip abut 'menu del dia' is a good one. If you plan your main meals for lunch (as we locals do) you can take advatange of great deals. You can get a decent meal for 10€ (per person), or a very good meal for 20-30€ depending on the place, and this will include 2 courses+dessert+water and house wine, and even coffe in some restaurants. Just choose any place you fancy full of locals (but bear in mid this will not happen before 1:30-2pm).The 'menu del dia' is usualy shown in a board outside, however it may be only in Spanish.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good restaurant

I didn't participate in this thread earlier becuz 1) I had already given restaurant ideas previously to bazzaman; 2) I haven't tried any so-called European, Tex/Mex or Italian restaurants in Barcelona and 3) I'm not local.

Since the doors seemed to have been thrown wider open, perhaps I can participate?

For steak in Barcelona at reasonable prices, I would go to Taktika Berri for the 15 euro chuleta de buey. The meat comes from Basque France and it was so delicious that we went back a 2nd time. Other Basque restaurants, like the Sagardi chain, also serve beef steak.

miguelvecin.com/2009/10/taktika-berri-barcel…

Edited: 01 February 2012, 22:47
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,510 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: good restaurant

I think the OP was looking for a nice venue to pop the question. Maybe with the pianist playing their song.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good restaurant

thanks guys.very helpfull.

9. Re: good restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:26