We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Ramblas area safety

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Las Ramblas area safety

I'll be staying in Barcelona with two Pre-teen girls, and have a room at the top of Ramblas near Plaza Catalunya. I read multiple reports on this forum that the Ramblas is not a safe area. Is this still the case? I chose this location assuming this would be a safe location for us to come back by ourselves from events late night (midnight or earlier). Should I change locations, and if so, to where? Also, how safe is it to take taxis in Barcelona?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Hola fmly_tvlr!

I'm a mum traveling with a 13yo son and last summer, we stayed at a hotel down Las Ramblas and off on a rather seedy street. We walked around, even late at night. Some people looked like they had seen better days but no one bothered us. We always felt safe.

Near Placa Catalunya, things are even better.

Taxis are clean, abundant and reasonably priced. Each one has a pricing chart inside. You can use worldtaximeter.com to get an estimate of what your journey will cost before you go.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 06:07
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

My feeling is that Las Ramblas is perfectly safe but it might not look nice at certain hours. As with many larger European cities, watch for pickpockets.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Thank you Gigis_mum and Sammyfloyd.

I usually carry a money belt with our passports, some extra cash, ID, one credit card and one debit card. I don't feel comfortable leaving the passports in the hotel. My daughter takes a small back back with some essentials, our raincoats, and less than €20. My camera and iPad are in a pouch that I hug for dear life - not because of what they cost, but because of the valuable memories and data they hold. This should be ok - right? I'm suddenly very concerned.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

don't worry too much fmly_tvlr. just use your common sense, take some extra care that being at home cos you are going to an unknown place and that's all.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Thank you Slatkin_10, guess I was reacting to all the posts.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

It looks like you are taking the basic precautions against pickpockets so you shouldn't worry at all. La Rambla is safe (except for pickpockets) and even safer near Plaça Catalunya.

Taxis are very safe. The only problem you might come across is overcharging. You can check the rates on the official Barcelona Taxi website:

taxibarcelona.cat/Portals/…20ok.pdf

If you feel that you have been overcharged, ask for a receipt.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 17:51
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

"I'll be staying in Barcelona with two Pre-teen girls, and have a room at the top of Ramblas near Plaza Catalunya"

You will find that area safe as there are plenty of people "tourists" out at night lively area especially at the outdoor cafes (not that I would dream to every have a drink there) and you will find you not alone of the street. Further way down Ramblas, closer to the port I would be concern at night, but that is far from where you are.

Piacenza, Italy
Level Contributor
678 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

I had my hotel there a couple of time, I was on my own and I found the area perfectly safe, even in the evening/night. I usually prefer staying in other parts of the town and from my experience I can say it's not more dangerous than other areas. Pickpockers can be more frequent for the simple matter that it's always full of people, I've never experienced anything like that, nor my friends. I would go there with children/teens with no problems.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Thank you all, phew!

In any tourism place, I realize the need to be alert of our surroundings and belongings. It looks like we need to be a bit more mindful, leave valuables back at home and have only reasonable amount of cash in hand when walking through touristy areas there. I hope we can manage to do that without incident.

Thanks again!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

fmly_tvlr,

Be sensible, be aware of your surroundings, take reasonable care and there is no reason why you should not be amongst the more than 7 million visitors a year to Barcelona who do not suffer any crime