We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

Hello all,

My husband and I are planning our honeymoon in Barcelona this May, and are now considering spending a few days in San Sebastian. We are arriving in BCN on May 17 at about 10AM (Thursday), and flying back to NYC on May 23 (Wednesday) at 1pm. Would it be crazy for us to take the train or fly to San Sebastian for a few days (say, from May 18-20)?

We're both well-traveled, but this will be our first time in Spain together. While I love Barcelona and San Sebastian, my concern is that we're trying to pack in too much in a short amount of time. We were envisioning this trip to be more leisurely, where we could explore different neighborhoods, soak up the culture, eat, drink, etc... But since eating and drinking will be a (really) big component of this trip, we thought it would be a shame to miss out on San Sebastian, when we've already come all this way from the US.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcomed! Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

You can eat and drink well in Barcelona too. I say that because yes I do think it's doing too much to fit in both esp. if you have to return to BCN for flight home. Staying in Barcelona will certainly be more relaxed,

Youll have come all the way from the US, but NYC is about the cheapest place to fly from so I'm sure this won't be your last joint visit to Spain

It's not even a full week you are here, you land jet-lagged and leave 6 days later......

Edited: 14 March 2012, 17:32
Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
142 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

Hello Ria S,

I understand that after come all the way from the US to Spain you would like to visit also San Sebastian.

However, for 2 days stay in San Sebastian, in my opinion travel by train can be a bit long.

Note that on 18th May and 20th May there are two trains only (you can check it at Http://www.renfe.es):

00534 ALVIA Departs Barcelona at 07.35 arrives to San Sebastian at 13.00

00530 ALVIA Departs Barcelona at 15.30 arrives to San Sebastian at 21.09

(trip lasts around 5 hours and a half from Barcelona to San Sebastian).

And on the way back there are other two trains at similar times:

00533 ALVIA 07.48 13.40

00537 ALVIA 16.13 22.09

Train ticket can be found only 2 months earlier to your trip, but return ticket can cost from around 75 EUR to 125 EUR.

There are cheap direct flight options that you can check with http://www.rumbo.es or any other agency. For example I have found just a minute ago an offer for a ticket for a plane leaving Barcelona at 7:04 and arriving to San Sebastian at 8:25 on 18th May and then back from San Sebastian to Barcelona on 20th May (9:00 to 10:00 hours) at a price of only 65 EUR in http://www.rumbo.es.

Hope that you enjoy in your trip!

Aitor Delgado

http://www.aitordelgado.com

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,163 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

Ria:

I would fly to San Sebastian from Barcelona. San Sebastian will be perfect for a honeymoon. Walk along the beach hand in hand!

May you have a happy life!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

If you are going to San Sebastian I'd have thought it made least sense to land in Barcelona one morning and head back to the airport the following morning and really early at that (for a 7 a.m departure).

Spending the night in a hotel by Sants station and getting the train at 7.48 would be quite a bit less stressful (and you'd see the countryside en route). You cd take train one way and plane back as another option.

However there are some nice beaches on the Costa Brava for romantic walks too (and great food in the Empordá area)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

Thanks for everyone's feedback! We've decided to fly directly to San Sebastian from NYC (via connecting flights), spend three nights there before taking a regional flight to Barcelona for the remainder of our stay in Spain...couldn't justify missing out on San Sebastian when it was just an hour away from Barcelona!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

Sounds a good solution although there is more than an hour of your time involved getting from SS to BCN. What with check-in time, transfers between city centre and airports etc, you're looking at half a day.

Luckily days are long here, we eat late and museums are open till 7 or 8pm so you can still make good use of the half-day when you are on the move.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

I agree with Lynda; it's more than 1 hr. San Se's airport is actually near the quaint beachside town of Hondarribia. Taxi about 30 €, I think. There's a bus too but given your limited time, taxi is prob best. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

Flights Barcelona - San Sebastian www.vueling.com

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

I would just stay in San Sebastian for the week. It's quite nice and romantic.

10. Re: Barcelona *and* San Sebastian in one week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:16