We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating between Spain and Germany

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
500 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Debating between Spain and Germany

I am planning a trip for November and I really wanted to go to Germany. Want to see the WW2 history mainly. But the weather has me concerned. I can handle it if it is cold and even snowy. But cold and rain! I don't know. We would be there Nov 21 to Dec 3. So now I am thinking Spain. Hoping it might be better weather. We will be starting in Paris and leaving there on Nov 21. Then ending up in Venice and Rome after.

What are your suggestions? Should I scrap Germany and head to Spain? Or go to Germany and hope for not too much rain? Haha

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

Come to Andalucia and have a day in Gibraltar - a place full of WW2 history.

You cannot expect good weather in Germany in Winter.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
500 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

What areas would you suggest seeing in November? Certain cities to go to? We would have 12 nights. Flying in from Paris then flying out to Venice. We are from a small town so I think we would enjoy being in smaller communities, however I would worry that small towns would "close down" (not completely, but for a tourist) in the off season.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

Actually November is a month when it normally rains in Spain too but admittedly here it's more likely to be torrential rain part of athe day rather than rainy days.

you certainly have lots of doubts about this trip! When I replied on Berlin forum you were talking about Milan, then a question came up about Berlin, Munich and Salzburg, now it's Spain instead of Germany!

Yes the weather in coastal Spain will be warmer than Germany in November but little else is definite. Sometimes In Germany in the winter it is like you are used to in Regina but November is still the autumn in fact and as I already said I have had beautiful sunny days in Berlin in November and also murky days (although not with rain, more just damp and grey).

Andalucia is beautiful and a fascinating area historically (but nothing really for WWII obviously since Spain was not involved in the Second World War). Catalonia and Barcelona also have lots to offer from many historical periods (you can visit a Civil War shelter in Barcelona for example) so again an OK option.

If the weather is a factor of huge importance rather than the actual sites/sights then probably visiting Spain rather than Germany is a good idea. You can fly from Spain to Venice (check out vueling),as well as other cities if you decide to add somewhere else in Italy.

But in fact there are plenty of WWII sites in Italy,including lots south of Rome, so perhaps you would be better going straight to Italy from Paris??

Level Contributor
7,834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

If you are planning large cities or medium size cities then Spain will be okay but as mentioned not the best weather...for the coastal areas either Costa del sol or Costa Brava you would sure not be seeing things at their best and much could be closed. For the history you should probably go to Germany.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
500 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

Yes Lynda I kinda feel all over the place haha. The only things that I have set for sure is Paris, Venice, and Rome. I keep getting recommendations from family and friends. Then I think of altering where we should go.

But thanks for your help. I will take all of this info and hopefully come up with a plan!

Edited: 15 March 2012, 17:03
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,771 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

Canada:

Go to Germany during summer when the weather will be good.

I enjoy travel in Spain in November because I do not get tired when the weather is a little cool. Plenty of sunshine!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,670 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

I love Spain (Andalucia) and so will you but if this is the only time to take this trip then go to Germany. Germany is where you want to go, so do it and put up with the weather. Andalucia will be warmer by far, good luck and have fun. Hubie

www.weatherbase.com

8. Re: Debating between Spain and Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:17