We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

I have spent many hours going through trip advisor reviews (Which are almost always somewhat "mixed",) as well as lots of guide books in order to find a mid price hotel for 4 nights at the end of October.

It seems October is high season as those generally suggested seem to be quite costly. We are trying to keep our double room down to about $200 a night and we feel it's a bit early to commit to a non refundable rate so this really limits our choice.

We have decided to keep to Eixample which is a very large area I know and have 5 hotels on our list.

Hotel Onix Ramblas,

Hotel Europark

Hotel Constanza

Gallery Hotel

Acta Atrium Palace.

My husband and I are just hitting our 70's so, even though we are pretty active, we enjoy staying in places that are comfortable and central enough that we can go back to the hotel for a rest in the middle of a day of sightseeing.

I would really, really appreciate your help with making this decision.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Hola LUSKJU!

Thank you for doing your homework and specifying your requirements. It makes it so much easier to give you advice.

Of your list, the Onix Rambla won't be the most luxurious of the lot BUT location-wise, it's the best. It's on Rambla de Catalunya, a beautiful tree-lined street that runs parallel to Passeig de Gracia. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby, including El Glop at #65 (open all day, serving moderately priced traditional Catalan meals, lunch special around 10 euros) and the Forn de Sant Jaume at #50 (bakery with chocolate croissants etc).

It's also close to a popular tapas restaurant, Ciutat Comtal (Ciudad Condal, in Spanish) and the Museu del Modernisme is 2 blocks away.

Great connections by metro, plus it's the closest for arrival/departure by Aerobus. Map from the Top Question - Getting to your hotel by Aerobus - linked here:

http://g.co/maps/3u58a

If you aren't fully convinced yet, another senior citizen and DE San Diego, Riff M, has recommended this hotel. I'll be staying there for a few nights myself this summer.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Thankyou so much for all your help.

I have sent an email to the Onix Ramblas asking for some information on the different types of rooms and, when they reply, I will make the reservation.

I noticed that the NH Calderon is on the same street and, although their cancellable rate is too high for us the non cancellable rate of Euros 164 is not too far off. We are considering keeping an eye on their rates and, at a later date, perhaps booking the non refundable rate - providing it's still available of course.

Do you have any thoughts as to whether the Calderon might be worth an extra 15euros a night over the Onix? Tough question, I know as we all have our own opinions.

Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Thanks for saying thanks! I think the NH Calderon is a much nicer hotel and if the difference is only 15 euros/night, it's worth considering.

Apart from the hotel's website, have a look also at Booking.com. Before I answered your question, I did a little search and was very surprised by the results. For the very same dates in the summer, the Onix Rambla was listed as 100 euros on Booking.com and 178 euros on their own website! I have never seen such a large difference.

The other question in my mind is whether you should go for the non-refundable rate. October is many months away and as you plan this trip, you may want to make some changes to your itinerary. There's a benefit to delaying the actual payment and having the flexibility to modify/cancel your reservation.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Hola Luskju, Hola Gigig_mum

Gigis_mum is right, I always ckeck the hotel website and booking.com and someting you can find very nice deals I always travel alone and have to get a single room and sometimes there are great differences when they have double rooms for single ocupancy or single rooms

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Well my mind is settled now./

I will book the Onix with the cancellable rate just to have something in place and then I will look at a non refundable rate for the Calderon a couple of months from now. The 15 euro difference is based on 148 euros for a superior room at the Onix and 163Euros for a standard room at the Calderon.

Both of those rates were from the hotel websites but I will definitely check booking.com before doing any actual booking - the difference you found for the Onix is crazy!

Thanks again Gigis-mum and thankyou Joseantonio for jumping in.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Hi Gigis-mum,

Hoping you may be able to help me again. I contacted the Onix Rambla by email last Sunday but have not had a reply . I'm trying to determine the difference between the Onix rooms and the Rambla rooms so that I can decide which to book. The Rambla rooms appear to have a balcony but the Onix rooms do not. However the Onix rooms are a little more expensive. I wonder if they are larger, more modern, better located in the hotel.

As you are staying there for a few days later this year, perhaps you know.

Thanks for any input.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Hi again LUSKJU,

Hotels are often slow to answer such questions these days. So many people use the websites and hotel booking services for information.

I just found this website that gives more info and pictures of the hotel. The Onix room is very basic and unfortunately, the YouTube video linked in the hotel's website is a bit misleading. It's from 2009 and it shows a picture of an old-fashioned room. I think they have updated their decor since then.

tvtrip.com/barcelona-hotels/…p-Photos

Here's another video showing the double room and the balconies facing Rambla de Catalunya.

www.youtube.com/watch…

This hotel is certainly NOT the most luxurious property on Rambla de Catalunya. It's probably the best deal on the street, lol. I'm not even getting the nicer room. Later in the month, I'll be staying at the 5* Hotel Bagues (got a really good deal of 160 euros/night and cancellable too, by booking 6 months in advance). :-)

Edited: 18 April 2012, 16:15
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Hi again,

I picked up the phone and called the hotel direct. I am told that the Onix room is on the higher floors and has the better view but no balcony and the Rambla rooms are on lower floors with balcony! six of one and half a dozen of the other I should think!

Great rate you have ar the Hotel Bagues. I checked their website and the best rate I could get was Euro 234. I can't believe how these rates vary.

I shall keep checking in case I can find deals a little later.

Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

Thanks for sharing (and for calling too). I wouldn't worry too much about a view; the hotel doesn't face the Sagrada Familia or Passeig de Gracia, 2 areas which would provide great views. I would like to have a balcony and be able to get some fresh air.

In the past, the balcony rooms were attractive to smoking guests. Now that Barcelona has enacted a law banning smoking in public places, I don't know if the hotel is still reserving rooms for smokers. That info is probably on their website somewhere...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet another Barcelona Hotel question!

LUSKJU,

I rec'd an email from NH Hoteles today. I must have gotten on their mailing list at some point. They're offering specials and NH Calderon is down to 135 euros for a cancellable room, not pre-paid. I'm very tempted to switch since there's a pool on the roof and it'll be a bit more comfy. Of course, you won't be able to use the pool, I realize.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 21:38