We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

I am flying out of BCN to London next month and received an email from Ryanair a few days ago informing me that the Spanish government plans to increase airport charges and this will be passed on to travelers despite already purchasing a ticket. Is this common and how much are these taxes normally? Its quite frustrating to have purchased a ticket with your budget to later be told addtional fees will be charged.

Dear Customer

In relation to your flight reference_______

Ryanair has been advised by the Spanish Government of a budgetary proposal to increase airport charges later this month.

In accordance with our General Terms and Conditions of Travel* we are advising customers with a reservation that includes a flight departing from a Spanish airport that we may be forced to debit passengers for any government imposed increases in airport charges prior to your travel date.

Once the Spanish government budget is published Ryanair will advise affected passengers by email of any additional airport charges that may apply to your reservation before any charges are made.

Please see our website for updates regarding increases in Spanish airport charges.

Yours sincerely

Ryanair Customer Service

• 4.2.2 Taxes, fees and charges imposed on air travel are constantly changing and can be imposed after the date that your reservation has been made. If any such tax, fee or charge is introduced or increased after your reservation has been made you will be obliged to pay it (or any increase) prior to departure. Similarly, if any such tax, fee or charge is abolished or reduced such that it no longer applies to you, or a lesser amount is due, you will be entitled to claim a refund of the difference from us.

Best Seller
France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,021 reviews
from US$144.70*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,925 reviews
from US$48.60*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,641 reviews
from US$110.90*
Special Offer
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
413 reviews
from US$111.23*
US$117.09
North Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

Yeh I received this also.

I can't find anything that says when this will be implemented or how much it will be.

Nothing at all on the Ryanair site regarding it either, well not that I can see.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

Where is your flight from? Do you fly from Barcelona-El Prat (BCN) or Girona (GRO)? I bought a ticket from Girona airport to London for the 27th April and I haven't recieved this e-mail. I've read that Girona airport is the only airport that won't increase those taxes due to a politic agreement ( http://goo.gl/Fh1jz ).

However, a friend told me on Friday that she has recieved this exact e-mail and she's flying from Girona. I printed my bording pass the same day (on Friday) and maybe because of that I didn't recieved the e-mail.

The official news, however, is that Girona WON'T increase its taxes, so as I know your flight won't be affected if you depart from GRO (Girona). In fact, the e-mail talks about a possibility, so maybe you aren't an "affected passanger" ;)

Enjoy!

North Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

It is Barcelona-El Prat that I fly into.

Pretty sure it was Friday I got the e-mail.

Not sure if it is one charge to fly back out or a charge both ways (landing and departing).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

I fly out of Barcelona- El Prat also. I got the email on Saturday and I depart on May 20th. I hope that this fee is only for flying from Barcelona and I won't have to pay for London to Barcelona. I am just wondering what the increase will be and if this is common for flight out of Spain in general or just Ryanair.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 22:02
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

In that case, I'm afraid you will pay an extra charge ;( Fares at El Prat will increase for sure. And this will concern an every tax you have already paid (both flights). However, there are some Ryanair flight tickets on sale free of taxes. I'm afraid this is your last hope.

But try to be positive :-) At least you don't have to pay €14 for the bus between Girona Airport and Barcelona because train to downtown Barcelona from El Prat is muuuuch cheaper.

I printed my card Friday morning and my friend recieved the e-mail at noon.

I'm sorry about that. Keep calm and enjoy Barcelona!

North Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

It would be for all airlines.

Hopefully we will hear some news soon on what is happening.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

MsNikkiT, I think airlines have to pay taxes at both departure and destination airports as they use they services.

I think you will only pay an extra for Barcelona airport fees, not London ones (because London ones remains the same).

Ryanair is a 'particular airline' and they will charge you for every extra service. I really think it is not such a common practise on other airlines to charge passangers that have already paid. Maybe fares could increase in the future, but others than Ryanair won't charge you once you have already paid.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

Whilst I am no apologist for Ryanair I doubt that they will be the only airline imposing extra charges for tickets bought BEFORE any new/increased taxes are applied but for flights departing AFTER the increase.

This is from British Airways general terms and conditions ...

" 4b3) Taxes, fees and charges change constantly and can be imposed or altered after the date we have issued your ticket. If they change or if a new tax, fee or charge is imposed after we have issued your ticket, you will have to pay us any increase. Similarly, if any taxes, fees or charges you pay to us when we issue the ticket are then abolished or reduced, you will be entitled to claim a refund from us. If you are a resident of, and your flight departs from, the Federal Republic of Germany, any increase in taxes, fees or charges will not be applied in the period of 4 months from the date of purchase of the ticket. "

The wording is almost identical to Ryanair.

Note that 'you will be entitled to claim a refund'. You have to pay for the extras but you have to find out for yourself that there has been a reduction. It doesn't improve my perception of BA and I expect that all other airlines will have similar terms.

Some airlines might decide not to add the surcharge to tickets already paid for, especially if the increase is small. Ryanair will because they have a policy of highlighting charges like these and would like to see them all banned. I don't think you are being disadvantaged by flying Ryanair though.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

Mmm... I see. That's true. Good to know anyway, and good to read carefully "Terms and conditions" text before accept it. Surely Ryanair is not alone in the business of extra taxes. Thanks for the information and have a nice flight ;)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair Increase in Fare due to Spanish taxes

I got the same email. We fly out to reus at end of May. The flights that I booked at the time though had no tax on. Surely they can't add an increase onto something I've not purchased in the first place? Anyone know if that's the case. I'm sick with worry as I really can't afford any extra charges. I saved for ages for this holiday and am on a very tight budget.