We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare question

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
taxi fare question

Friend of mine tells me last time she was in Barcelona and took a taxi to the airport that the fare was 14 Euro and when they pulled up in front of the hotel the meter said 14 Euro but the driver pushed a button and it doubled and she had to pay 28 Euro due to having luggage. Is this standard practice to pay more for luggage?

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,024 reviews
from US$144.40*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,930 reviews
from US$48.50*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,641 reviews
from US$110.70*
Special Offer
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
417 reviews
from US$110.98*
US$116.83
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi fare question

There are supplement charges when using a taxi

Details www.taxibarcelona.cat/tabid/3479/default.aspx

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi fare question

Minimum fare is 20 euros from airport.

By the way, do you know which was your friend hotel? 14 euros is really low so he should be out of barcelona..

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi fare question

Yes, 14€ is really low unless the hotel was out of Barcelona (near the airport) of it was ages ago.

Luggage supplement (1€ per piece) + airport supplement (3.10€) + (maybe) night/holiday supplement should be added to what the meter says. Adding 14€ sounds quite steep indeed.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi fare question

I think that all the extras are posted somewhere prominent in official taxis, aren't they? I'm sure that on the last few taxis we used there were notes on the windows that were hard to miss.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi fare question

BTW, €28 sounds about right for city centre to BCN.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi fare question

Chris: yes, all the extras are posted somewhere prominent in official taxis. They have a sticker in Catalan/Spanish/English with all fares and supplements in the passenger window.

And yes, €28 is a right price for city centre to BCN (I'm paying usually 28-32€ these days, without luggage or only 1 piece). What's odd is being 14€ meter +14€ extra.

7. Re: taxi fare question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:17