We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

Michigan
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

Hi,

We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids ages 9 & 5). We are planning a trip this August for 2 weeks to Spain & Portugal. We will be flying in and out of Barcelona. We are not interested in musuems and don't want to spend a lot of time in big cities. Can someone suggest what cities are worth visiting in Spain & Portugal? Appreciate your help in advance.

Here is what we have put together...

Saturday Barcelona arrive @ 2.30pm take a flight to Malaga Flight @ 8pm

Sunday Malaga day trip To Ronda

Monday Granada day trip to Alhambra

Tuesday Granada day trip To Tropical Coast and Caves of Nerja

Wednesday Granada to Sevilla

Thursday Sevilla Day trip to Cordoba

Friday Sevilla to Lisbon -overnight bus to Lisbon

Saturday Lisbon Day trip to Sintra, Cascais and Estoril Coast

Sunday Lisbon - at leisure

Monday Lisbon day trip To Óbidos, Nazaré, Fátima and Batalha. Overnight train to Madrid.

Tuesday Madrid at leisure

Wednesday Madrid Day trip To Avila & Segovia

Thursday Madrid Day trip to Toledo

Friday Madrid to Barcelona

Saturday Barcelona Day trip to Girona and Costa Brava???

Sunday Barcelona Day trip to Monteserrat

Monday Barcelona - Fly back home 10:30 AM

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

This is a really hectic programme even for two adults and seems way too much for two small-ish kids. Have you done anything like this with them before? II wouldn't do it with my 19-year-old either and he's a veteran traveller in Europe! We find one week on the road is usually about enough moving from hotel to hotel, then we like to base ourself in one place and do day-trips in the area. in an apartment you have more space than in a hotel room, you can "eat in" occasionally, and catch up with laundry too! Plus you have a bit more of a local take on a place.

You say you don't like big cities but if you stay in central Madrid or Barcelona there are areas that have a small-town feel in fact, narrow strreets lsmall squares, ower buikldings etc..

Specifics to your plan: Why fly to malaga if you want to be in Granada? Fly to Granada! spend some time in Seville itself! and in Barcelona!

You have allowed a day at leisure in Madrid but not a single day actually dedicated to Barcelona although Barcelona does indeed have things that appeal to 5 and 9 year olds.

Obidos, Fatima, Nazara and Batalha is an awful lot for a day-trip from Lisbon too. Obidos is very pretty and Batalha is, to me, unforgettable, but on the whole I'm not sure that even the 9-year-old will get a lot from that day-trip We visited Lisbon (and Cascais) with our son as he turned 2 and that was a nice trip (did Seville and Cordoba when he was 3) but our more extensive visit to that part of Portugal was when he was already 14 and appreciated architecture, visiting cities etc.

So, much as we ourselves love Portugal if you restricted yourselves to just Spain for this trip it'd be a lot less hectic. You could even have a couple of days on the Costa Brava as a reward at the end!

Avila is a walled city, Segovia has the spectacular Roman aqueduct (we visited both last year), again is this going to be of huge interest to your kids, considering the travel-time involved?

If Lisbon is a must there are flights from BCN (with tap, vueling, easyjet). maybe you cd re-jig your itinerary a bit.,. check all vueling's destinations as well as rail options

Level Contributor
8,120 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

Wow...just my opinion but this sounds like a one month trip. You have allowed no time for jet lag...no time for cities that could each justify 5 day stays...instead it is all day trips...overnight bus with 2 kids? and would it maybe not have been (or if you have not yet bought tickets could be) cost and time effective to choose an airlines to fly into Malaga (or BCN) and out of Lisbon? In short maybe I'm getting old but even when I was in my 30s this would not have been doable. It is a "hit the ground running" itinerary with no time to really see anything other than say you have been there. Each country is fascinating (I have been to both) and I would suggest limiting it to one country and designing an itinerary which will allow you and your children to enjoy what they are seeing . Sorry to be so negative but

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

If the pace doesn't get to you, the heat may.

Please slow down and give yourself more time to enjoy, especially with young children.

New Carrollton, MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

Kooster, beware of Vueling airlines if you choose to fly. www.airlinequality.com/Forum/vueling.htm has some very mixed reviews of this "low cost" airline that seems to find every possible way to charge you for things that we take for granted here in the US. I am very disappointed with Vueling because just this week they changed our BCN to GRX flight from 1:40 PM to 7:45 AM for no reason whatsoever. We specifically wanted an afternoon flight so we could relax in the morning and take our time. To top it all off, Vueling is taking reservations for a 1:30 PM BCN to GRX flight at a lower price than what we paid, which is a real slap in the face. It is impossible to reach anyone at Vueling customer service. I have no good words to say about Vueling. I recommend you find another carrier if you choose to fly.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

To much, slow down and smell the roses, at least l would. Make sure you have your tickets for the Alhambra before you go to Granada, it sells out very fast. Good luck and have fun, Hubie

www.alhambra-ticket.es

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

Wow - that's a crazy, hectic schedule for anyone and especially with 2 kids. I don't think any most bus tours would be at this pace.

Breaking it down by days here's what you're attempting in 16 nights:

Malaga - 2 nights; daytrip to Ronda

Granada - 2 nights;daytrip to Nerja

Sevilla - 2 nights (+ full day due to overinight bus); daytrip Cordoba

Overnight bus to Lisbon

Lisbon - 2 nights; daytrip Obidos, etc...

Overnight train to Madrid

Madrid - 3 nights; daytrips to Avila, Segovia and Toledo

Barcelona - 3 nights; daytrips to Girona & Montserrat

This could be easily a month long trip done at a moderate pace.

You have 4 regions/areas planned: Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon and Andalucia. First I'd cut out at least one region and even 1/2 of the geography. Cutting the geography in half you could overnight in a combination of the larger cities and a smaller city. You could easily spend 10 days alone in Andalucia then just one other region - BUT it will be very hot in August in Andalucia.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

Last long trip to Spain we spent 3 weeks in Andalucia alone, other than flying into and out of Madrid, something to think about. I think after about a week you will want to slow down on your own. Hubie

8. Re: Itinerary for Spain & Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:42