We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking -Pyrenees

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
Hiking -Pyrenees

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a celebratory trip to Spain this summer. We have 3 or so days to travel from Barcelona to the Pyrenees and back to Barcelona for some moderate hiking, walking, possibly some biking - really taking in the beauty of the mountains, villages, countryside, etc. It's challenging to figure out our itinerary. Everything sounds so beautiful - I want to do it all, but we don't have a lot of time. Any suggestions of an intinerary, "must see"/"don't miss" places? There are national parks and some gorgeous sounding hikes. I"ve seen suggestions about Olot, Ripoll, Andorra. Any suggestions/ideas would be great! Thanks!

Best Seller
France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,024 reviews
from US$144.40*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,930 reviews
from US$48.50*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,641 reviews
from US$110.70*
Special Offer
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
417 reviews
from US$110.98*
US$116.83
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking -Pyrenees

Olot and Ripoll are near the Pyrenees but not in them. Andorra is and having visited once it's not a place I can imagine returning to in a hurry. The mountains are wonderful but the towns along the main road from Spain are a bit of an eyesore.

Vall de Nuria might be an option for you. It is at almost 2000m and has plenty of access to high mountains with hikeable trails. You might be interested in my blog of a trip there last year here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

The preceding entry describes how we got there (train from Barcelona is a viable alternative) and the next couple of entries relate to another area nearby where hiking is on the doorstep.

There are a couple of regulars on the forum who walk in the Catalunyan countryside who might come up with some other good ideas.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking -Pyrenees

Thanks for the great info! I will definitely check out your blog.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking -Pyrenees

You don´t say if you will have a car

If so the area that I love i Vall de Boí (with many romanesque curches in the valley, Declared Unesco World Heritage Site) and Vall d´Aran

If the Vall de Boi you have the Aigues Tortes i Llac de Sant Maurici National Park with many hiking trails easy and difficult and from 1 to 5 or more hours

Hope to have helped

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking -Pyrenees

Thanks! We will most likely be renting a car - very helpful.

5. Re: Hiking -Pyrenees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:40