We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona in a day

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
Barcelona in a day

We are going on a cruise and will be in Barcelona for a day. Below are some of the places I was planning to see ... any recommendations or suggested order? Seems like La Sagrada is the best first stop. Thanks for the help.

La Sagrada Familia, Hospital Sant Pau, Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, Palau Guell, La Rambla, Arc de Triomf

Ireland
Level Contributor
570 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona in a day

If I was there for a day I would take the hoho bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona in a day

A couple of things to bear in mind in your planning, if your boat is parked (along with others) along the long quay opposite Montjuic :

You either have long queues for transport, or a long walk to get to a decent starting point.

Part of the quay, near the shore, is actually a lifting bridge. This can be raised for a long time. It's bad enough sitting in a bus ....sitting in a taxi is an ordeal.

So you'll need to allow about an hour to get from the bottom of La Rambla to your cruise ship.

I'd agree your best bet is the Touristic Bus. It's now about 24 euro, I believe, but this covers three routes and a book of vouchers. There's one obvious point to switch between the two main routes; which means there are horrendous queues at both stops. I'd stay on back to the Playa Catalunya to change routes.

An alternative, if you plan everything in advance, is to buy a day ticket or T-10 for public transport, and use buses and metro. Parc Guell is worth a visit, but I'd use the bus from a stop across the road from Casa Battlo (22 if memory serves) to avoid the extremely steep climb to the main entrance.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,997 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona in a day

HoHo bus www.barcelonabusturistic.cat

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,215 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona in a day

Another vote for the HoHo.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona in a day

If you have a late departure (very late) I'd add a viewing of the Magic Fountains.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona in a day

Id do the fat tire bike tour you'll see all that and more. You can find it on tripadvisor .

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona in a day

I've never done HOHO tours. I'd be worried that you wouldn't feel like you were experiencing the city at all. With one day, I'd be inclined to see less of the city via a walking tour than to perched up on a HOHO bus.

Two of my favorite spots are not on your list, both in the old city: Palau de Música Catalana, which is an extraordinary example of modernisme architecture. The short guided tour gives you a wonderful overview of that approach to architecture and design as well as a glimpse at Catalan culture and pride. I really like the Hospital de Sant Pau, but I would choose the Palau over that for such a short visit. Second, a short stroll away, Santa Maria del Mar, no paid tour necessary, an incredible example of Catalan Gothic architecture.

Your list seems like much too much for one day and is quite heavy on Gaudi. Barcelona has much to offer beyond his extraordinary works.

How long do you have for your day? I would perhaps try for: Sagrada Familia, Palau de Musica Catalana, roaming Barri Gòtic and Born (or taking a Running Bean tour), seeing one of Gaudi's other works (Palau Güell, Milà, or Battló), a stroll down Rambla de Catalunya, a stroll through Mercat de Santa Caterina OR La Boqueria. Not necessarily in that order.

8. Re: Barcelona in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:41