We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

chicago
Level Contributor
279 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

We arrived in Barcelona this afternoon and are staying near pza Catalunia for 3 nights. The area around is VERY crowded and cheesy. We planned to stay 4 more nights, but would like to move to a nicer area - please advise where? We plan to visit the museums, architectural interest places.

Thanks!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
30 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

The perfect antidote for the cheesyness of the Ramblas, plaza Catalunya and barrio Gotico is la Vila de Gracia......

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

The Eixample, the Ribera/Born and Gràcia are all good options to get away from the guiris and still be close to the what makes the city great.

Have a look a the top questions' "Which area should I stay in?"

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,668 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

Just walk away from Las Ramblas past Placa Catalunya and into the rest of the city!!

Some of the "guiris" don't like that area along Las Ramblas either!!

I like Rambla Catalunya (not the same as "las ramblas") which is a pedestrian street above Placa Catalunya. There are hotels along that street.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

As Riff M said above, you can walk above Plaça de Catalunya to Rambla de Catalunya. A bit further away you have Gràcia. El Born is not far from Plaça de Catalunya too. You do not need to actually change hotels, just walk on the right direction :)

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

Why not hop on a train and give Tarragona a try? Hardly cheesy at all and worth a couple of nights for the superb Roman-era relics and a splendid cathedral - plus nearby Reus for some modernista architecture (NB - I've not visited Reus, so can't give a first hand opinion. Far less tourists and the cheesiness is mainly restricted to the pizzas at Pulvinar.

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

I second a trip to Gracia. A very short Metro ride to Fontana or Diagonal (or better still, a wonderful stroll up Passeig de Gracia) puts you near a great area of cafes, bars, and pleasant squares without all the tourists.

Here's a Google map of Gracia's plazas:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

My favorite is Plaza Virreina.

chicago
Level Contributor
279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

Thank you All!

We will try that now.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

For me Gotic and Born are much more interesting neighborhoods because they are ancient. Las Ramblas is awful although I love La Boqueria.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

Just to add my two cents worth:

Barceloneta is nice and authentic. Great covered markets there and cute narrow streets devoid of living statues, sombrero selling gifts shops and pickpockets.

I whole heartedly endorse Gracia and El Born as fabulous.

For a taste real Barca and some urban beauty the Rambla Poble Nou (in Poble Nou funnily enough) is leafy, calm and riddled with lovely cafes. Plus it's next to the beach.

New England
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to escape from cheesiness of Ramblas?

My goodness, we probably only spent a combined total of less than an hour on the lower and more tacky part of La Rambla during our nine days in Barcelona!

Passeig de Gracia

El Born

Gracia

Parc Guell

The Zoo

Poble Epanyol

Montjuic

Eixample

Placa Catalunya

Even the upper part of La Rambla was fine.