We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

I am planning on going on a two week vacation to Spain at the end of July and beginning of August. Is it safe to travel to Barcelona, Madrid and Seville right now? I am concerned about the protests and the public transportation strikes.

Level Contributor
8,299 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

Just as safe as any other time in my opinion. Most of the protests are very localized and easy to avoid. I believe we saw a few while we were in Girona and Barcelona and just walked down a different street. Strikes can affect you if that is your mode of transport...again if bus is on strike take a taxi...train well take a bus...in other words you need to be flexible. I think (I may be wrong here) that they usually give some warning about any sector that may strike and the exact day(s) so keep current on what is going on. I don't think you have any need to be concerned...enjoy your trip.

Winnetka, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

I was just in Barcelona with my 4 children and we found it very safe. We had absolutely no problems at all! It was a wonderful trip.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

As safe for American as for everybody else. The protesters do not care about tourists at all, even less about their nationality.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

Coming from NYC, not sure what you mean.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

gclabes:

Spain is very safe for any tourist. The Spanish cannot tell the nationality of foreigners at first glance unless they hear them speak English.

What can affect your trip is if there will be a general strike, but this will be announced in plenty of time. Then transportation will be affected.

In the meantime, we will have strikes all the time because people are unhappy that their salaries have been cut (if they work for the government). Spain has a debt crisis and the government is trying to cut costs wherever they can, so they have asked for sacrifices from the population. The strikes are a way of venting frustration.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

No disrespect but after what has just happened in Colorado, Barcelona will be like a kinder garden!

Edited: 22 July 2012, 05:34
Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

Hi, I was just about to post the same question when I came upon this thread. I just read there is 25% unemployment rate in Spain. We will be in Barcelona and Mallorca in August. Barcelona is known to have more pickpocket thefts than most cities. In general, as we are experienced travelers, it doesn't concern us. However, does anyone know if the situation is worse now than a few years ago? Is there any concern with traveling with young children in terms of higher or lower likelihood of being targeted? It seems like most of the unrest is in Madrid?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

TravelBugged33............... We can only repeat..it is safe. and a lot safer than other locations.

Who will target your and your children?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

Is it safe for americans be in america?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Safe to travel right now for Americans?

How do protests and strikes make a place dangerous anyway?