We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

Just wondering if we could buy over the counter motion sickness meds in a pharmacy in Barcelona. Is Bonine available in Spain? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
752 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

My experience of Spanish pharmacies (and I've lived here 10 years) is that you can buy anything you want over the counter. If you are asking for really strong antibiotics, they might need just a little persuading (a dejected look on your face would do the trick) but they will sell you what you want. I'm quite sure there would be no problem with motion sickness tablets at all. I don't know "Bonnie" as a brand, so can't comment on that but they will certainly have motion sickness tablets.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 16:07
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

Boninie is not marketed in Spain, but the same active ingredient (Meclizine dihidroclorure) is branded as Navicalm and Chiclida here. You will find these (and other brands with different active ingredients) in most pharmacies and yes, they are sold over the counter.

@Scousetwirly, probably pharmacists in Malaga are more relaxed (things tend to be this way in the South) but you may have a hard time getting any antibiotic (let alone "strong" ones) in most pharmacies in Barcelona. Except on the pharmacy next door where they know me, they always asked me for my MD license card when I did not had a prescription for certain drugs, and even showing my MD card (but no prescription) I once could not get a certain medication.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
752 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

For me the dejected expression on my face works in Italy as well as Spain. I don't think I've ever asked for antibiotics in Barcelona but I have in other parts of Spain. Generally I find that Spain has very strict laws but they are rarely implemented as strictly as they would be in north European countries.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

I've bought drugs with no prescription in many pharmacies all over Europe (including Malaga, Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc).

Indeed Scousetwirly has a point. A bit of face expression and hurryness does the trick in most cases. It may not work in some pharmacies, but you can just go to the next and try again.

Nevertheless motion sickness meds are available in any pharmacy in Barcelona without prescription.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

Will be off to the Farmacia manana! Have a whale and dolphin trip booked in Tarifa on Thursday and as I usually get sea sick on a lilo I think I need the strongest available. Muchos gracias

6. Re: Motion Sickness-Over the Counter Meds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:19