We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona beyond Gaudi

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield Hills
Level Contributor
22 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona beyond Gaudi

We will be spending a week in Barcelona in October. This will be our second trip there, so we have seen the Gaudi buildings, major museums, etc.

We like art, eating, photography, shopping and are healthy travelers in mid-60's. We speak fluent Spanish. My wife is well known artist interested in meeting artists, visiting galleries, etc.

What are some ideas for new things to do this trip? Out of the ordinary? Small museums? Interesting new restaurants or shops?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

Definitely try to see castellers. Might even inspire an artistic work. :)

Barcelona already have several weekend dates in their calendar

castellersdebarcelona.cat/colla/…10

as do Castellers de Vila de Gracia

www.castellersdelaviladegracia.org/index.php…

Not all events will be in Barcelona but most will be easy to get to and you are likely to see an interesting location.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

When in October are you coming so we can tell you if there will castells (or any other special attractions) during your visit?

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

"photography ..."

My last trip was a week, I spent a day walking around Eixample district, studying/photographing the outside architecture and discovering many amazing doors to some of the apartment building that had classical and artistic looking front doors.

Also it helped that I was carrying Modernisme Route guide book when I came across a building I knew I what I was looking at. Heavy book, looking forward for the Kindle version to lighten a few pounds.

Also the Olympic area near Montjuic with it modern architecture was a treat to photograph too.

Bloomfield Hills
Level Contributor
22 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

Thanks.We will be arriving October 19 and departing October 27.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

You could try to seek out all the covered markets. Barcelona has the best selection of any city I've been to. Not just the Boqueria but also the Santa Caterina, Barceloneta, Sant Antoni (currently in a temporary structure) and there's a couple in Gracia. They can be great places for photo opportunities and people watching (both locals and tourists). Santa Caterina also had a nice looking restaurant area. For architecural photos, add to this list the old El Born and Sant Antoni market buildings which are under renovation.

Bloomfield Hills
Level Contributor
22 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

Thanks. Good idea. We practically lived at the Boqueria market on our last trip. We love food markets!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

Caslin:

Here is a small museum that impressed me:

Museu del Modernisme Catala

The Museu del Modernisme Catala (Museum of Catalan Art Nouveau) is located at Calle Balmes, 48. The museum opened in March, 2011. The museum is installed in a building designed by the Modernist architect Enric Sagnier in 1904. The museum has two floors with a space of 1000 square meters. This museum has Modernist art at its best. On the ground floor there is the furniture section with furniture designed by Gaudi, Gaspar Homar and Joan Busquets. There is furniture that uses the art of marquetry, many using 40 different types of wood. The marquetry designs on the furniture looked like paintings, because so many types of wood were used, each with its own color. There are beautiful mirrors with spectacular designs. The furniture included cabinets, dining tables, and office furniture, all looking like art objects. The furniture designed by Gaudi was meant to be used at Casa Mila, Casa Battlo, and Casa Calvet.

Downstairs is the section of painting and sculpture with work by Ramon Casas, Santiago Rusiñol, Joaquim Mir, Josep Limona and Eusebi Arnau. Arnau was a sculptor who worked on the decoration of the wonderful Palau de la Musica and the Hospital de la Santa Creu I Sant Pau. There is stained glass panels created by Maumejean that are spectacular. Joaquim Mir created a trio of stained glass panels with flowers and wildlife that are simply beautiful. Antoni Rigalt I Blanch has two stained glass panels, one of the Virgin of Montserrat and another of Sant Jordi. This is the only museum dedicated solely to Catalan Modernism. There are more than 350 works of art designed by 42 artists.

Bloomfield Hills
Level Contributor
22 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

Thank you so much for your detailed recommendation. I think it's right up our alley! I'm getting much more response to my posting than I anticipated, which is terrific.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

It's a city that provokes extreme reactions, Caslin. There's a huge amount to discover.

My visit there last week was perhaps my 20th. I managed plenty of 'firsts'. We visited the Pedralbes Monastery which is delightful and finally found time to stop in the 'summer cafe' of the Frederic Mares museum after many "we really should ..."s.

It's also a city filled with creative people who can sometimes make fairly mundane experiences exceptional. Have a great time.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona beyond Gaudi

The Monestir de Pedralbes is definitely a good idea. It's one of favourite sites of Barcelona.

The Disseny Hub museums intrigue me: http://www.dhub-bcn.cat/museus They are also in the Pedralbes area. I don't think I'll get to go during my next visit, but they're on my list.

I'm also curious about the Campus Nord area up there. Something that was rekindled when reading this post on the Bares Auténticos blog: baresautenticos.com/2010/…

If you're into urban cemeteries, you could visit the ones in Poblenou and Montjuic.

You could also pick a neighbouhood like Gràcia, Sants, Sarrià, Les Corts, Poblenou or whatever and explore it more thoroughly.