We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

Hi

We will be in Barcelona for 12 days this December. Any advice about what is the best way to maximize dollars and keep it simple at the same time?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

I plan on mostly using my credit card when I can. I did order some Euros from my bank's website and they were ready for me to pick up two days later. The exchange rate was pretty good and the delivery charge was $7. I think it should be enough for us but if we need more we plan on hitting an ATM.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

indeed exchanging dollars into euros in your local bank instead of waiting till you are in spain is a good thing. VISA and MasterCard are widely accepted in restaurants and shops (for somewhat big quantities i.e. over 20 euros)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

Credit card acceptance is wide in Spain. You can easily pull money from the ATM. Ask your bank how much it charges for a foreign withdrawal.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

There are debit cards that offer very low or zero charges for ATM withdrawals. These are usually the cheapest way to obtain foreign currency legally. There are also some credit cards that offer this. I don't know how common these are in the US. Check with your bank as well as your credit card supplier for their rates and ask if they have a zero-rate card. It might also be worth shopping around to try to find one.

I used my zero card in Barcelona last week and got excellent rates compared to anything else that was on offer, saving between 3% and 5% and that's without checking hotel rates or bureaux de change which are usually the most expensive.

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

Thanks everyone for your information. This forum has been the single most useful resource in planning our trip.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

Be sure to find out if your credit cards have a foreign transaction fee -- it is 3% with any of Citibanks products. And do notify both credit cards firms as well as banks about your trip.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

Agree. Always inform your provider when travelling abroad.

8. Re: Euros, Credit Cards, Debit Card (ATMs)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:18