We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Warren, OH
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary end of March beginning of April. We are flying into Barcelona for a few days then need to get to Malaga. We have a condo there for a week. What is the best way to do this? What would be the approximate cost? And is it possible to buy train tickets online? I have been trying to find information and cannot find a time schedule. Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Flying is cheaper, quicker and you get a proper bed in a proper hotel to sleep in. Sleeping in a train even in a cabin for 2 is very uncomfortable and well nigh impossible. Try Ryanair for a cheap flight but make sure you check in online. Driving that distance is pretty miserable: I do it regularly. Renfe is the train company. Google it.

Have a nice trip, Malaga is where the good weather is!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Also check flights with www.vueling.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

We flew Vueling this summer. Flights for March 2013 might not be up yet but midweek travel, with advance purchase, is the cheapest. Check-in luggage and use of credit card for purchase are add'l costs to factor in. Vueling is a low-cost airline partly owned by Iberia.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Vueling flights for March are bookable and apart from Holy Week, the last week in March, there are flights from under 30€ (Holy Week they are still under 80€). You pay extra for checking-in a suitcase (but a lot less than Ryanair charges!) and a flat fee for the credit/debit card but still a lot cheaper than by train.

Vueling are a lot less restrictive re luggage than Ryanair so I would definitely recommend you book vueling. Thy operate 4 flights a day from BCN to Malaga.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Beachlover:

I fly Vueling all the time within Spain and outside of Spain. It is a very good airline and I have never had any problem with them.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

An alternative worth considering is taking the AVE train, 5h30m and about 50 euros one way if booked in advance.

Advantadges:

from train station to train station

cercanias ticket included in the price

train is more comfortable and spatious

you experience the high speed train

no real baggage size or weight constraints

you can check in renfe.es for booking online

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

myscreen,

www.renfe.com is more direct as renfe.es re-directs to the .com website. A small detail.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Hi, sorry to interrupt but we are also travelling from BCN to Malaga in March next year. We arrive in BCN at 9.20am. So far there is no connecting flights available through either Vueling or Ryanair. Am I looking just too early? Does anyone know if other flight times might become available? We need something obviously after 9.20am and not too late in the day either. I would email directly but there are no email addresses provided to do this. Thanks everyone.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

More flights will probably appear as the time gets nearer - they will want to fill the ones they have posted first - there are usually a couple of flights a day between the two cities late morning / early afternoon.

Vueling is a low-cost airline, so won't offer an email query system, just keep an eye out every so often, or sign up for their newsletter.

The same applies to Ryanair btw.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 11:33
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel between Barcelona and Malaga

Thankyou very much. Hopefully some extra flight times will become available. I had read some replies to similar questions and the suggestions were to book as far in advance as possible for the cheaper fares. The only suitable time so far is after 7pm which is just too late. I will have to keep checking.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 12:01