We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cadaques or Girona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cadaques or Girona?

Going on a bus tour from Barcelona and trying to decide between one that goes to Figueres then Girona or one that goes from Figueres to Cadaques. I love the look of the seaside village and just not that charmed by the views of Girona. Any opinions? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

Hola Xtine and welcome to TA Barcelona,

You love the look of the sea and are not charmed by the views of Girona? I think you have answered your own question. :-). Choose Figueres and Cadaques (the area is indeed very beautiful; I recently spent a night near the Dali House-Museum).

Not too many people would compare these 2 places since they are completely different. Here is Girona, in the eyes of my friend Jose Antonio:

www.pbase.com/joseantonio/girona&page=all

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

Hola,

They are totally different. If you like coastal scenery and some beautiful town with some lovely corners to lose yourself, then choose Cadaqués. It´s one of my favorite places in the Costa Brava-

Hola Gigis_mum

Jose

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

Hola Jose!

I was hoping you would see this thread. ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

Hi Xtine, which company are you booking your bus tour with? I'm about to book one myself - the one to Figueres & Girona - and am not quite sure which one to go with. Prices are the same for most of them. Thanks

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

For travelers on a limited budget, or those who want more time flexibility than offered with the tours, it is very, very easy to do an excursion from Barcelona to Figueres and on to Cadaques or Girona using the train and bus. For train schedules see the Renfe site, and for bus schedules see Sarfa for the bus from Figueres to Cadaques. There is also limited bus service directly between Cadaques and Barcelona.

Note that it is doable but requires careful planning if you want to have a one day excursion that includes both Figueres and Cadaques.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

Thanks Medscape. Yes, I know this is an option but I specifically wanted to go on a group tour for this excursion (and maybe Xtine does too?). I'm a single traveller and although very comfortable with being by myself, it's good to have some company on a week-long trip. That's my motive for an organised bus trip ;-)

Level Contributor
7,922 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

As already stated Cadaques sounds more like what you are looking for. I would, however ask when you plan on doing this trip because Cadaques is probably at its best through October and maybe a bit too closed up after that? Girona is really beautiful but it is totally different. You mention "bus tour" and not sure what you mean by that. I would look at Spanish Trails as they do some "small group" tours to that area with max 8 people in a van. If you browse their reviews people really enjoy them and the group makes it fun. They include alot in the day for a reasonable price. This might be what you are thinking but if not take a look...even if it costs a bit more really worth it in my opinion. Good luck.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

To see Figueres and Cadaques in a day then a bus tour is the way to do it (if you don't want to rent a car). For Figueres + Girona it's simple by train, Go to Figueres first and back to Girona afterwards. then you can spend as long as you like.

Girona is lovely (Figueres has Dalí but is othewise not attractive). I finally got to visit Dalí's house in Port Lligat in February and it is fascinating. And Cadaques is always very atmospheric (and not everything was closed, even mid-Feb!).

Edited: 02 September 2012, 09:58
Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

I agree that the town itself of Figueres is not pretty, as it certainly can´t compete with the charm of the nearby medieval villages such as Besalu or Beget, the old town of Girona or Castello de Empuries, or the stunning views of the seaside villages such as Cadaques. But for visitors who have time for more than the obligatory stop at the Dali Museum it is a good place to experience day to day catalan culture, or to understand more of the history of the region.

The San Ferran castle is an important military installation, with great significance for the Spanish Civil War. Almost all of the International Brigades spent at least one night there before going on to fight. Figueres was one of the very last towns to fall under Franco control. In earlier times San Ferran was important in defending the area against French invasions, including attempts of Charlemagne.

There is also a strong architectural history with interesting buildings in the neoclassical, moderniste, and eclectic styles. Several of these are along the Ramblas. They don´t have the bright colors of Gaudi´s lovely Casa Battlo or my favorite, the Palau de Musica, so it is easy to walk by without noticing them. And have a look at the Abbatoir (now closed meat processing facility) , which is being converted to a cultural center, or the Asil de VIlalonga (residence for elderly) near the train station, and the structure that covers the weekly market, to see how the architecture was incorporated into every day life.

And those interested in Jewish history should be sure to have a look at the small Call near the Dali Museum. It is worth noting that when the city of Figueres was created the the leaders actually invited Jews to move to the town, and offered financial incentives to encourage the relocation.

Fans of flamenco may know that Jose Reyes, the well known singer who performed in the US with Manitas, was born in Figueres, where there is still a significant gypsy population in the San Joan neighborhood near the new TGV train station. (The more contemporary group, The Gypsy Kings, includes sons and grandsons of Reyes, as well as relatives of Manitas)

So do visit Figueres when you are here ....come and stay a while.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cadaques or Girona?

Well put, medscape!

I certainly enjoyed my time in Figueres. In fact, at the risk of being torched by Dalí loyalists, I'll admit that I spent more time walking around the town, gazing at the charming Modernist buildings, ambling along La Rambla and chatting in the cafe near the Municipal Theatre El Jardí than I did at the Dalí Museum! Gigi and I went through that in a record time of 20 min (or was it 15?).

Anyway, it's a pity that folks rush up from Barcelona, make a bee-line to the Dali Museum and don't take the time to see the actual birthplace of their idol and the town where he lived. I have a friend who lived in Figueres as a little girl and remembers seeing Dali sweep by, a dramatic figure in a long dark trenchcoat.

medscape, thanks again for taking us around and for indulging my foodie curiosity with the lunch at Hotel Emporda. In its own way, that place supports local tradition as the original founding chef, Josep Mercader, was a legendary figure of Catalan gastronomy.

I've started a Google map of Figures, entitled "Figueres: Gaudi and beyond".

http://goo.gl/maps/Gv2wB

For TA friends who are interested in spending some time in Figueres, here's a useful website.

www.figueres.cat/eng/contents/446/routes.html

Edited: 02 September 2012, 17:57