We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clipboard pickpocketing scam - be aware

England
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Clipboard pickpocketing scam - be aware

My daughter has just returned from Barcelona with a group of friends and whilst sitting in a park they were approached by a group of people with clipboards, some sort of petition to do with sick children I think. Whilst one of my daughter's friends looked at the document his i phone was stolen.

Just goes to show these sort of things don't just happen in crowded places. Please be alert whenever a stranger approaches you.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clipboard pickpocketing scam - be aware

Sorry that your daughter and her friends had to experience this scam. It's already listed in the Top Question - Scams and tricks to avoid.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-s206/Barcel…

England
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clipboard pickpocketing scam - be aware

Thanks, wish they'd read that!

Level Contributor
8,844 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clipboard pickpocketing scam - be aware

BCN was a city where under NO circumstances did I ever engage in any way withi anyone on the street. That is not my style at all even in NYC or any major city as most people asking a question or trying to promote something are legitimate however I just could not take that chance in BCN after all my reading. At times I felt bad ignoring people but just the way it is. Frankly there are too many scams to keep up with...just don't respond to anyone. Sounds harsh but engaging people in conversation on the street is the first step to problems.

4. Re: Clipboard pickpocketing scam - be aware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 10:16