We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Wondering if anyone has gone through La Sagrada with kids using the kids audio tour and if so your thoughts on it. Hoping it will have enough historical info to keep my 9 year old happy but the 40 minute length of tour will definitely be better for my 6 year old. Would rather get the regular audio tour and fast forward if needed if the kids audio tour doesn't provide a good run through of the history. Thanks for any and all help in advance!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Personally I found La Sagrada Familia overpriced and boring, I did the audio tour, you kid will find it boring

Id recommend skipping the tour altogether, but if you must visit inside buy the ticket to visit the tower. Your kids will love walking down the steps in the tower. That was probably the coolest part of La Sagrada Familia.

It was not that interesting inside, The Barcelona Cathederal in the Gothic Quarter was much more interesting inside

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

I love the Sagrada Familia! All the proceeds go to the construction. It is built entirely from public funds. The internal and external design is amazing.

4mtravel, I can't your questions since I've only used the adult audioguides. Even my 10 yo used one. Too bad the Friends of the Sagrada Familia doesn't process memberships online. The cost is very low and Friends get a private, guided tour. Your family would have loved it.

Try sending a private message (pm) to DE Lynda. Her young nieces and nephews visited last year. They may have used the kids' audioguide.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 20:43
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Thank you both for replying! It seems from what I have read people either love it or don't think much of it at all. Makes me even more interested in seeing it for myself.

Howardform, I think you are right. They will probably love the stairs and tower. I haven't gotten to researching the Cathedral or the Gothic Quarter in detail yet but I know both are must sees.

Gigis mum, Thank you for that info. I will try Lynda. It is good to know that your 10 year old used the adult one. I may just go that route.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

It costed like 13 Euros Enrance fee 4 Euros for the Audio Tour and 3 Euros to go up the tower (About 20 Euros total, I forgot the exact amount.

The Barcelona Catheral was free (Many of the Catherderals in Spain do have a small admission charge)

Part of my review of the Catherderal is that I dont think it was worth 20 Euros a person

north carolina
Level Contributor
278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

I went with two kids - both aged 11. The neat thing about the audio tour is that you punch in a number at each point so you can choose the kids number or the adult number. We all listened to the "kids" tour because I assumed that otherwise we wouldn't really be on the same timing.

I disagree with everything else howardform said but I do think everyone feels differently about things. For us, the inside was fabulous and the tour was interesting. We really regretted that we had not gotten the tickets to go up though. By the last few stations, the kids interest had waned so we just skipped them. Some of the info was more interesting than other parts but I got a lot more out of design, construction techniques, reasoning than I would have realized just looking around without the audio tour. The kids liked punching in the numbers too. La Sagrada Familia is just so different from most anything else and as you travel around Barcelona, you feel like you come to know Gaudi the church is partly why you feel that way. There is an exhibit inside that gives some details about Gaudi - such as the influence of shapes from nature on his design - that also enrich other sites you will see.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Hi ncsnorkeldork. Thank you so much for that information. I just saw that you had commented. Not sure how I missed it. That is good to know about punching in a number for kids or adult tour. Although we will probably listen to the kids so we can help them if needed understanding. Mine are a little younger than yours. Will probably send my little one up the tower with Dad when she gets bored so my 9 yr old can finish. Thank you gain for the info!

north carolina
Level Contributor
278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Happy to help! I got a LOT of great advice from this forum before we went and it made a big difference to me so I occasionally visit it and see if there is a topic to add to.

PS Just in case you didn't know this, it is very easy to buy tickets (which include the audio tour if you want) ahead of time. We got our hotel concierge to do it. They print it out and you walk right past the whole line. I missed - however - the spot where you buy the tickets to up. There is info about that in this forum. There is an ice cream spot with tables across the street - a nice reward for getting through all the numbers or finding some creatures climbing down the side of the church or any other little game that makes them stay a bit more interested.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

It is so great that you replied. I get lots of good planning info off this site as well but when I can find kid specific advice it is even better!

Ice cream after is probably a great idea!

north carolina
Level Contributor
278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

Another PS - Howardfrom's post about the gothic cathedral reminded me, we took a fun tour geared toward kids by Runnerbean. It is called the Kids and Family tour and our two 11 year olds loved it! You don't go inside the Cathedral but you go outside and see the beautiful courtyard with the 13 swans (don't tell the kids how many - counting them is part of the fun). The tour guide had lots of fun interactive elements all through. I think it runs Saturday mornings. It is "free' but it is expected that you will give the guide a tip. I think it is runnerbean.com

I know it is reviewed on tripadvisor because I wrote a review when we got back

10. Re: La Sagrada Audio Tour for Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 10:15