We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gratuity for tour guide?

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gratuity for tour guide?

We are scheduled to tour Barcelona on a motorcycle sidecar (Ride Brightside) for 105 EUR per person. Is it customary to also offer a gratuity to the tour guide?

Our Guide in Barcelona
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Barcelona Oculta Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Kids&Cat
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

I would say yes if you enjoy the tour and feel that the guide did a good job or went above just what they "had to do". I would assume that the guide is an employee of a the company and probably makes a small salary and depends on tips. That is how it usually goes. If a guide seems disinterested or spends their time on their phone etc. I would not tip. Most guides work hard so you enjoy your time with them.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

I'm also taking this tour. Is there an average percentage for gratituity? For example, in the US it's usually customary for 15-20% depending on the service. Would it be the same in Spain?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

I believe 10-15% would be considered a good tip.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,801 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

A fiver at best.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
110 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

I would. We did a tour a few years ago and the other 'guests' tipped nothing. That is rude. They're providing a service. Give a propina. The tour company makes money, but realistically, does your guide?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

here in spain we dont tip, or if we do it is a small one, and obviously it is not rude, just a different retribution system for workers.

so if you want tip someone you can do it but it is not mandatory.

United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

I have noticed the sometimes very excited reaction of service people to a tip and am aware of the fact Europeans don't tend to give anything extra however I stand with above reply that while not expected it is very much appreciated with the low wages some people make. 20% on this tour would be way too much...Lordkimmage's "fiver" if that is per person is probably okay or 10-% as I suggested.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

As slatkin pointed out, it is not a local custom to tip for this service. And it is certainly not rude to not tip.

Of course, if people are working ONLY for tips (for instance, Runner Bean tours), then you should tip unless the tour was quite bad.

9. Re: Gratuity for tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:17