We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Hi TAs,

I arrive in Barcelona this Saturday at the wee hour of 7am, with my husband and 2 brothers. We leave on Sunday for a week-long biking trip outside of the city, but have this one day in town to "shake" our jet-lag (hopefully!) After parking our luggage at the hotel, I had thought to stroll down towards Barceloneta to see the Festa and the Castellers, who I believe perform in Placa de Barcelonata around 11-11:30am. Then we thought to have a nice leisurely seafood lunch outside somewhere, hopefully with a view of the water and lots of sunshine to up our vitamin D... One recommendation we received was Can Majo, but I see many think this is overly touristy. Any other recommendations for a sunny Saturday afternoon by the sea? Afterwards, a long siesta...

Thanks-S

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,298 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Seattle:

Mare Magnum is a very large shopping mall located at the port of Barcelona. They have many outdoor restaurants with views of the water.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Kaiku is a little place facing the beach with good rice dishes and seafood

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Thanks for your suggestions, Benny and Gigi'sMum. I like the idea of a smaller place, so will check out Kaiku. I've seen it recommended; don't think I realized it was waterview. Gracias!

S

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Thx for saying thx SeattleBadger. After I posted above, I had a look at the reviews on TA and was surprised by some of the bad ones. Restauarants all have good or bad days but in this case, I think this place chooses to preserve its own local style. That means that they open only for lunch (they could make more money if they opened for dinner and served paella at night, to cater to tourists), service can be a little gruff and, in the summer, if you plop yourself down at one of their terrace tables without a reservation, they'll ask you to you leave.

As you walk down Passeig de Joan de Borbo on the way to the waterfront, there are lots of seafood places with posters of their menus. A good place for dessert is Vioko.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Maremagnum is probably the second most touristy place in town after las Ramblas. Not many local people would eat there (we may have an overpriced drink enjoying the views now and then indeed)

Kaiku is very nice and there you'll find a mix of locals and 'guiris' ;-)

Another place I like with seaviews is Agua in Port Olímpic.

Bon profit!

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Hi can someone tell me where Kaiku is please and how we book for lunch/

Thx

Viola

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Here you go, Viola. Pls make sure to read the reviews on TA. It seems that some visitors have gone and have been disappointed. They were probably expecting something more touristy, more friendly, more.... I don't know. All I know is that I'm a foodie and I like the food there. :-)

Kaiku, Placa del mar 1, Tel: +34 932219082

You can use a Google map to find its location, all the way down at the water-side of Passeig de Joan de Borbo. Ask your hotel or apt manager to call for you. In the low season (not on weekends), you can probably walk in.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

Viola, local food is alwas defferent than what we really wanted, but never the less MOST of the time very good. So you can't alwas go by the reviews unless you have had that plate 3 or 4 times before. No matter how many times l have had Paella, there alwas seems to be one more way of cooking it, good luck and have fun. Hubie

9. Re: Saturday Lunch in the Sun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 17:19